The Zapthrottle Mote Extractor is crafted by Engineers with a skill level of 305. The components are:
is a quest reward for the quest  .
Cost from basic components
This item is used to extract motes from various clouds, gases, mists and vortexes.
- Arcane Vortexes in Netherstorm for
- Felmist in Shadowmoon Valley for
- Swamp Gas in Zangarmarsh and The Steamvault for
- Windy Clouds in Nagrand for
Note that Arcane Vortexes are normally invisible, so you will need either the ability to Detect Invisibility or specialized equipment such as the Ultra-Spectropic Detection Goggles or the class-specific engineering goggles.
One common misconception is that this item can also be used to extract Motes of Water from the Pure Water that spawns in fishing spots around Outland, particularly in Nagrand. Pure Water in fact gives up its bounty to players who fish from it, not to mote extractors.
Note that Windy Clouds will very frequently spawn on top of the floating islands that are dotted about the Nagrand region. It is very difficult to spot these clouds without the gas cloud tracking ability of the Engineering goggles.
Also note that other methods exist for acquiring Motes.
Be sure you have bag space before you start extraction. The cloud disappears after extraction whether you collected the motes or not.
Various clouds and such also exist in Northrend where the Zapthrottle Mote Extractor can be used to extract such things as [Crystallized ...]. The main difference is that more than one kind of element can be extracted, unlike the ones in Outland.
- Arctic Clouds in Howling Fjord and Dragonblight produce and .
- Cinder Clouds in the Savage Thicket in Sholazar Basin produce .
- Steam Clouds around the Geyser Fields and Scalding Pools in Borean Tundra produce and , also found in Sholazar Basin.
More info to come...
Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): The on-use animation has been changed.
- Rather than looking like you're a warlock draining the soul of the cloud, it now appears as though you are sucking the cloud through a tube.