|Casting time||Instant cast|
|Improved Vampiric Embrace|
Vampiric Embrace is a Priest magical debuff that can be acquired from the Shadow talent tree. It causes the priest to be healed for 15% of any Shadow spell damage dealt to the target by the priest, while the priest's party is healed for 3%.
Improved Vampiric Embrace increases the percentage healed by Vampiric Embrace by 33-67%, meaning (at rank 2) it heals the priest for 25% of the damage, and party members for 5%.
Only applies to Shadow damage from the Shadow Priest's spells. Shadow damage from other casters or wands is not affected. Vampiric Embrace may be cast by multiple priests on the same target, but it does not stack. Each priest's VE generates healing from their own shadow damage.
The casting priest is also considered to be a member of their own party, even when not in a group, so receives two healing effects: one for 15% and another for 3%.
The duration when cast on an enemy player is 60 seconds.
This debuff was previously considered to be a Curse.
+Healing gear does not increase the amount healed by this spell. However, gear with Spell power will indirectly increase the healing by increasing shadow damage dealt.
Healing generated from Vampiric Embrace causes threat in the same way as other healing spells.
The healing effect is treated as a healing spell when applied to party members. Therefore, Protection Paladins will gain mana as well as health from the effect of this spell through Spiritual Attunement. Mana gained is minimal - often in single digit (maximum is 2.5% of damage dealt), and only if the paladin is not already at full health. The healing done is affected by Mortal Strike effects.
- Patch 3.3.0 (???): This ability is now provides a 30-minute buff that cannot be dispelled, instead of a target debuff.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): Duration increased to 5 minutes, up from 1 minute. PvP duration is now 60 seconds. Cooldown removed.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Mana cost of this spell has been removed.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): (Undocumented) Vampiric Embrace heal of party members reduced 80% from 15% (base) to 3% (base).
- Patch 2.0.10 (2007-03-06): The base healing percent from "Vampiric Embrace" has been reduced to 15% from 20%. In addition, this ability can no longer get critical heals.
- Patch 1.11.0 (20-Jun-2006): This ability will no longer heal for damage caused when the target had no life remaining.
- Patch 1.10.0 (28-Mar-2006): Damage resisted by the target will no longer be counted as damage caused for the purposes of the healing from this ability.
- Patch 1.7.0 (13-Sep-2005): Now heals 20% of the damage actually caused (including critical hits, buffs etc...) but now only heals when shadow spells cause the damage.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Active icon tooltip rewritten to be more clear.