|This is an archive of User talk:Raylan13.
Jan 2011 - June 2011
Are you finished with most zone updates?
I noticed you're making additions and changes to subzones. I would focus on finishing all the major zone updates before worrying about specific subzones. If you're done with the zones, then nevermind. Also, I would focus on contested subzones over faction dominated ones. Don't focus too much on the Alliance subzones, they are more likely to get other user updates. Horde zones and subzones tend to be more neglected. -- (talk · contr) 4:23 PM PST 7 Jan 2011
- What I'm doing right now is zone--->subzones (alli & horde)--->npcs--->quests, then moving on to the next zone. I was originally going to do each group separately, but the way I'm taking notes from the game it's just easier and quicker overall for me to do it this way. If it ends up that I'm not hitting the main zones quickly enough, though, I may well end up going back to my original schedule. Raylan13 (talk) 02:21, January 8, 2011 (UTC)
Somehow wowhead got added to content filter
- Looking into it now.Raylan13 (talk) 19:04, January 11, 2011 (UTC)
MediaWiki upgrade to 1.16.1...
Could you please update WoWWiki:Upgrades with any info you know about the MediaWiki 1.16.1 upgrade. Also, please change MediaWiki:Community-corner and MediaWiki:Communitymessages-notice-msg to notify users of upcoming slowdowns or other known issues. Having things randomly get slow and getting message about not being able to save changes is not very friendly if we can be otherwise warned about it. -- (talk · contr) 3:18 PM PST 20 Jan 2011
- I'll pass this up to someone who knows more about what's happening.
- I've been told that the hiccups over the past few days had to do with SMW. So far as I know, those changes have been rolled back until they can figure out the problem. 1.16.1 hasn't been implemented here yet, but hopefully an ETA will be coming so a heads-up can be given to users. Once we've got that, we can update those pages. It likely won't be for a little while yet, so if an ETA isn't given by Monday I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with. Raylan13 (talk) 17:23, January 21, 2011 (UTC)
Thanks. I was in fact testing something and the page was just being written. Thanks for moving it (: I meant for it to be in my personal space.—This unsigned comment is by RightLegRed (talk • contribs) 22:41, February 5, 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
Hi Raylan13. It was pointed out to me by a friend I'm showing up as "Demoted" on WoWWiki:Administrators. I'm guessing that's Fandyllic childishly seeking some kind of revenge or something. In any case, I was revoked my admin rights by my own request and belong in the first "By request" listing.
While I'm still logged in there, I'd like my userpage blanked out and/or deleted. It's been broken since ages with the new layouts anyway, but for some reason it's still protected and I can't touch it. Cheers Adys 00:26, February 7, 2011 (UTC)
- Fandyllic was reworking the admin page to reflect how things currently stand; though I can't speak directly for him, I'm positive no ill will was intended. As I can see your admin capabilities were removed by your request as you say, I'll go ahead and make that change to the admin page, provided Fandyllic hasn't seen this message himself. I'll also unprotect your page so you can blank it out/delete it. My apologies, and please let me know if there's any other way I can help. Raylan13 (talk) 01:13, February 7, 2011 (UTC)
- Ah - I saw the log and thought "basically requested it" meant he had asked to be demoted, not that he had done something to deserve demotion. I'm not entirely clear on the details, but you were obviously here long before me. I'll forward him to you if there are any questions about the matter. On a (slightly) unrelated note, shall we make our new admins official or should we wait a little longer to promote them? Raylan13 (talk) 18:19, February 15, 2011 (UTC)
Let me send out another MediaWiki:Community-corner update. I want to get at least a few comments from the community before we promote anyone. If you want, you can ask Bubsy87 and Servian if they want to be made moderators in the meantime. I'm perfectly okay with that. -- (talk · contr) 21 Feb 2011 10:53 AM Pacific
- Sounds good to me. I'll send them a message on their talk pages. Raylan13 (talk) 19:10, February 21, 2011 (UTC)
Polls feature update!
We've just enabled an upgraded version of polls here :) (Feign surprise)
It's separate to the old
<poll> extension (which will continue to exist for some time), and works a little differently. Since the rich text editor isn't enabled here, you can use Special:CreatePoll to create them. Polls themselves even have their own pages, and are included on pages like templates:
If you or your users have any issues or thoughts about it, please don't hesitate to let me know - user talk page, Skype, Special:Contact all work. As you're essentially getting an early preview of the feature, you can announce (or not) it to the users as you desire. (Also posting this to Fandy). 19:49, February 23, 2011 (UTC)
Lets promote Bubsy87 and Servian...
Well, it looks like we've waited long enough for comments from other members of the community and they either don't care to comment, are too shy, or don't have any disagreements. It's been about a week since I sent the announcement requesting comment on admin nominations.
If you want to wait longer for comments, I'm fine with that also. We can ask Bubsy87 and Servian what they want for their description on the WoWWiki:Administrators page in anticipation of their promotion, even if we want to wait. -- (talk · contr) 3 Mar 2011 1:14 PM Pacific
- Sounds good to me. I agree that we've waited long enough for any naysayers or otherwise to voice their opinions. I'll bump them to admin if you want to leave a message on their pages about what descriptions they want. Raylan13 (talk) 21:25, March 3, 2011 (UTC)
Re: Sporeling racial ideas
OK, thanks for clearing that up for me. Sorry about my persistence, I just wanted to get my ideas out there. Thanks.—This unsigned comment is by WilboBaggins217 (talk • contribs) 00:46, March 7, 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
We need to change the focus of our updates
I was exchanging messages with Grynd, the primary admin at WoW Answers and he was upset that I switched the link templates from pointing to Wowpedia back to WoWWiki. I tried to explain to him that WoWWiki was comparable, but from his perspective, we're not. From the examples he gave me, I tend to agree with him.
Here's the problem. Alot of our work is focused on replicating information that is already easily accessible at places like Wowhead. We need to focus on information that cannot be easily replicated at a DB. This means pages that synthesize info from DBs or come from empirical observations or research in-game.
Here are some example pages of comparison between us and Wowpedia that Grynd showed me:
As you can see our pages are pretty bad, if not terrible.
This sort of comes around to my previous concern about updated info on old content and for low level areas. While important, it really isn't what most of our users are probably looking for.
- Grynd is female. Her name is Sarah. That is all. Rappy 05:40, March 11, 2011 (UTC)
- Special:Mostvisitedpages/latest should give you an idea what should be updated. Which is mainly class builds, boss tactics and macros Servian (talk) 12:49, March 12, 2011 (UTC)
- Not a problem. I'll see if they have anything above and beyond the page that Servian pointed out. I'll post here if it isn't anything spectacular or identical to what we have. If it's a better list, though, I'll throw it into a forum post. Get back to you by the end of the day at the latest.
- Turns out what they have access to is identical to what that page lists, so we can go by that. Raylan13 (talk) 22:35, March 14, 2011 (UTC)
Reason for removing refs?
Just curious about why you removed the ref here: http://www.wowwiki.com/index.php?title=Elwynn_Forest&curid=14048&diff=2484829&oldid=2484783
- It looked like the refs were the same as the ones cited in the 'source' section of the box, which was the Lands of Conflict. Looks like it should read p.47-49, rather than 48-49, though.Raylan13 (talk) 04:07, March 12, 2011 (UTC)
I didn't really know the reason for the fancy headings on the Battlegroup page, but I didn't want to take the time removing them. I guess the US rated battlegrounds list is a tedious, but valid source. Since it filters by players and not specifically by servers, to thoroughly go through it to confirm the WoWWiki list was correct would be painful.
Fan art is okay for articles, if it is good (albeit this is a matter of opinion) and is properly credited and licensed. Stuff may have been put on talk pages as proposals or because they weren't properly licensed or credited. We've been pretty loose about improperly licensed images on user pages or subpages, but the solution isn't really to remove it from those pages, but to delete the image.
- See response on your talk page. In short, access to page history. Raylan13 (talk) 13:18, April 5, 2011 (UTC)
Quest making moratorium over?
little timmy-i was wondering if you could tell me how to add more line in to the info zone like |minor=test1 ? how would you do that —This unsigned comment is by LittleTimmy (talk • contribs) 20:40, April 16, 2011. Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
Extensive city detail...
Please do Orgrimmar shops and stuff after Stormwind City. I've started documenting Horde stuff by creating a pre-made on the PTR, if you don't have a high enough level Horde character. Horde stuff tends to get neglected and Orgrimmar is much harder to find things than in Stormwind where things are more geometrically laid out. -- (talk · contr) 27 Apr 2011 10:06 PM Pacific
lots a work?
your doing lots of work lately, right?
Might as well delete these
You might as well delete these two pages:
I have no interest in updating them on WoWWiki anymore. They have been outdated for a long time.
I liked Grand Admiral Daelin Proudmoore, i'll make another him as Captain Admiral Grant ok?
what server do you play on?
message me back on my talk
Re: Re: Server?
cool, maybe next time i'm on we can play
Thank you for the tips, Raylan - I had been fishing around looking for layout templates or the like and didn't have much luck. I figured somebody would catch me up anyway, as you have done.
It's frustrating not finding the information one might be looking for, with all these post-Cata changes that haven't been completely caught up yet. I figure if I'm in a position where I can at least throw it into a Talk page, somebody more used to the style here has a starting place.
Is there an NPC/questgiver format I can model-after? One of the quests is written up, but not the Dwarf giving it.
- Glad I can help! When starting a new page, if you look across the top (above the white space you edit), there will be a list of boilerplates, essentially some templates that you can click on and the format will be preloaded. These include: Ability, Item, Mob, NPC, Quest (use Quest: prefix), Talent, API function, and Player Character. A full list of such boilerplates and help articles can be found here as well - WoWWiki:Boilerplates. A list of templates you might use within an article can be found here: WoWWiki:Templates.
- Another option is to look at pages that have been successfully created, as when I referred you to the "Inhabitants" section of Astranaar. There's nothing wrong with popping open a page, lifting whatever markup you need from it, and then editing it to serve your purpose.
- I've been meaning to look at the boilerplates and make them more user-friendly, if need be, as well as updating the templates page. Being relatively new to page creation yourself, I would be very appreciative of any input you might have, if you'd be willing. Raylan13 (talk) 14:39, May 30, 2011 (UTC)
- Aha, 'Boilerplates'! I couldn't find the right term. Sometimes I miss things right in front of my nose, too.
- I skimmed the Templates earlier - perhaps there might be more practical examples of how to use them when. The list templates are also a little confusing, as there's two versions out, one with an automatic icon (I think) and one where it's noted manually, like Astranaar. Some kind of note or list of 'preferred formats' as opposed to 'previous still functional formats' (a star marker, perhaps?) might be useful.
- I've not always found good model-afters. For example, there's stuff in the Wetlands that's got post-Cata changes, and a new quest monster. I'm not sure how to update the original quest page, nor even what to call this monster, since it's not a Rare. (I do have some good pictures saved - on the PC that's not booting up at the moment. :( I think I might have got them up on Picasa, though.)
- The Girl Genius Wikia has my fingerprints all over it, so you can see I'm a kind of compulsive Wiki-ist. I just need to learn the style over here better.
your working on Dun Morogh now?
your working on Dun Morogh now?
hehe, thanks :D
, - ; * ' * HunterBowlen * ' * ; - , 19:00, June 5, 2011 (UTC)
Well, i was looking at the Humanoid tab trying to find a Troll, because as i was flying over The Hinterlands (Jintha'Alor) I noticed a Large, un-troll like troll creature. I am asking you this, is there anywhere on WoWWiki that there is a listing for this breed of troll? if so, please add Ongo'longo to it
, - ; * ' * HunterBowlen * ' * ; - , 19:17, June 5, 2011 (UTC)
Help.... Me.... Ongo'Longo was a Flop. if I find something else, ill try again. I now have a newfound respect for your job
Thanks a ton, i made it look GOOD! Shows how much accidentally deleting a }} can do to your whole page! Hopefully now i can stop bugging you, and soon, i will be making pages with the best of you!
, - ; * ' * HunterBowlen * ' * ; - , 20:29, June 5, 2011 (UTC)
Thanks, ill make sure i check on that "polish" to make sure i get everything flowing smoothly. Hopefully ill be getting better at this!
- I don't think you need a battle.net account to get tickets. Now at position 62 with 16% of stock left, whatever that means. -- (talk · contr) 8 Jun 2011 7:08 PM Pacific
- Yeah, same here - went in at 66 and got sold out at 11 (sigh). Still waiting on other avenues - I'll keep you posted when I get news. Raylan13 (talk) 02:15, June 9, 2011 (UTC)
Re: NPC levels
sorry i didn't see the health of Aggra, i was turning it to the Mt. Hyjal Level
Announce contest on Community Central?
hey dude i am working on a essay about WoW for school and i wanted to know what you think my paragaphs should be?
Midsummer Bonfires, Alliance
I'm new t this, please forgie any improprieties.
I was going to further tweek the changes to the Kalmidor route for the Bonfires page, and I noticed that not only is that section missing, some one else tromped all over my changes.
Could you please take a look and share some observations?
Thank you for your kind response. I hope that this is the right place to respond to it. I ask some questions here so that I may learn general Wowwiki policy. I would direct other questions to the Fires discussion page -- if I knew how to find it. If any or all of these points belong elsewhere, I would like to repost them there.
- For what it is worth, you did not edit my changes. You editted the changes of the person that replaced my changes.
- I assume that Wowwiki rounds coordinates to the nearest unit. So be it. In general, I will try to honor the Wowwiki style. And I know that some of my stuff lacked explanation, To be honest, I was just trying to get the information in there on the fly and leave the clean up for later. While that may be sloppy and even unprofessional, I liked being able to use the Wowwiki functionalty to verify that my entries were accurate. Is there some sort of sandbox I should use?
- One thing I put in was routing; eg fly West from one flame to get to the next flame. I know this makes the page longer, but I think it will shorten the task completion, especially when traveling between zones. As such, I would reinsert those instructions (and add them for Kalmidore).
- Picking up the flight master in Surwich in Blasted Lands creates a shortcut from Booty Bay to Nethergarde Keep. While it would not be worth adding this FP for just this achievement, I suspect that it would be worth adding this FP for other seasonal achievements, such as Tricks and Treats of Azeroth.
- I started my routings in Stormwind, since that's where most alliance toons are hearthed these days. From there, Goldshire, Darnasus, and the Dark Portal are the most convenient entry points for the respective continents. Keeping those starting points will allow players to complete dailies and visit trainers between continents. It also eliminates the travel from Aerie Peak to Theremore Isle. I do not have any Horde toons, so I cannot easily help with their routing,
- I do prefer to tailor routings to a reasonably minimal set of abilities; flying (Flight Master's License), flight points, and hearth set to SW, While mages, engineers, death knights, druids, Uldum veterans, and ome guild members have other routing possibilities, I wouldn't make large changes on their behalf. Perhaps we could add notes such as mages can teleport to Exodar now. or alternate; set hearth in Aerie Peak and grab Ghostlands, Eversong, and Silvermoon now. But that can be hard to write clearly and concisely. Perhaps the solution is to divide each continent into separate sub-runs; such as defining the Northern Tail as Ghostlands, Eversong, and Silvermoon. This would make it easier to suggest alternate routes (" alternate; set Hearth in Aerie Peak, complete the Northern Tail, and hearth to Aerie Peak "). It may also make it easier for readers to picture the route in their heads.
Hoping this is not too much,