|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
- Charge Orb: Charges a nearby orb with electricity. Orbs affected by this ability gain a periodic effect that fires a Lightning Shock every second, inflicting 2831 to 3169 Nature damage to a nearby enemy. Lightning Shock has a 35 yard range so it can be avoided by standing in the center of the room.
- Sheath of Lightning: Encases the caster in a sheath of pure electrical energy, reducing all damage taken by 99%.
- Stormhammer: Throws a stormhammer, dealing 2451 to 2551 damage to an enemy, knocking down and stunning the target for 2 sec, and causing a Deafening Thunder to all enemies nearby the target. He will only use this ability during the Gauntlet portion of the fight. After he leaps down from his perch, he will no longer use this ability.
- Summon Lightning Orb: Summons a supercharged ball of energy, laying waste to all in its path. This ability is used if either a) no one is in the room below where Thorim stands, or b) if five minutes pass and no one reaches Thorim.
- Chain Lightning: Strikes an enemy with a blast of lightning that inflicts 3700 to 4300 Nature damage (4625 to 5375 on heroic). The bolt will arc to additional nearby enemies, inflicting 50% more Nature damage to each successive target.
- Lightning Charge: Absorbs a torrent of electrical energy, inflicting 13875 to 16125 Nature damage (17344 to 20156 on heroic) to enemies in a cone between the caster and the power source, and gaining a stacking buff called "Lightning Charge" that increases Thorim's melee damage and attack speed by 15%, and Nature damage dealt by 10%. When he uses this ability, the "power source" used is one of the pillars with the orbs attached.
- Melee strike: deals ?? physical damage.
- Unbalancing Strike: Inflicts 200% weapon damage and leaves the target unbalanced, reducing their defense skill by 200 for 15 sec. Tanks need to taunt off of each other to counter this.
- Frost Bolt Volley - Inflicts 11250 to 13750 frost damage to all raid members and slows movement for 4 sec. 8 sec cooldown. Instant.
- Frost Nova - Inflicts 14138 to 15862 frost damage to targets within roughly 8 yards and roots them for 6 sec. 2.5 sec cast.
- Health: 134,810 (Heroic: 808,860)
- Charge - Charges an enemy, inflicting 4625-5375 (Heroic: 6938-8062) Physical damage and knocking the enemy back.
- Runic Barrier - A shield of runic power surrounds the caster, reducing all damage taken by 50% and inflicting 2000 Arcane damage to attackers.
- Smash - Deals 37000 to 43000 Physical damage to all enemies within a 10 yard cone in front of the caster.
- Health: 202,215 (Heroic: 808,860)
- Rune Detonation - Immobilizes a target with a runic ward that detonates after 4 sec to inflict 11250 to 13750 Fire damage around the target.
- Runic Fortification - Fortifies nearby allies. Damage done increased by 50%. Attack and cast speed increased by 50%. Health increased by 100%.
- Stomp - Inflicts 8313 to 10687 Physical damage to nearby enemies and knocks them back.
Entrance Room mobs
- Health: 33,702 (Heroic: 190,000).
- Melee strike.
- Aura of Celerity: 20% spell and melee haste to allies.
- Rune Strike (melee strike + 1000 nature damage).
- Health: 33,702 (Heroic: 162,000).
- Runic Lightning: 45 yd range, 1.5 sec cast; strikes an enemy with a blast of runic lightning, inflicting 7875 to 10125 Nature damage.
- Runic Mending: 40 yd range, 2 sec cast; heals an ally for 18500 to 21500, then heals for an additional 6000 every 1 sec for 15 sec.
- Runic Shield: 30 yd range, 0.5 sec cast, 6 sec cooldown; surrounds the caster with a runic barrier, absorbing 120,000 magical damage and reducing all physical damage taken by 50% (lasts 1 minute).
- Health: 53,924 (Heroic: 296,582).
- Charge: Charges an enemy, inflicting normal damage plus 75 and stuns the opponent for 2 sec.
- Mortal Strike: Inflicts 250% weapon damage and leaves the target wounded, reducing the effectiveness of any healing by 50% for 5 sec.
- Whirlwind: Attacks nearby enemies in a whirlwind of steel that inflicts normal damage plus 100.
- Health: 8,820 (Heroic: 25,200).
- Low Blow: Lands a cheap shot on an enemy, inflicting Physical damage and reducing the target's damage dealt by 3% for 20 sec.
- Pummel: Pummels an enemy for 15 damage and interrupts the spell being cast for 5 sec.
If you reach Thorim within 3 minutes of killing the adds in the entrance, the illusion of Thorim's wife Sif will attack the raid throughout the fight. In addition, Thorim will have +43% health, deal +67% extra damage and not be affected by Touch of Dominion.
At the start of the fight when you engage the Jormungar Behemoth and the other adds, Thorim will cast Sheath of Lightning on himself, making him almost entirely invulnerable to attacks. Have one tank turn the Jormungar away from the raid, and have the rest tank and AoE the adds, focusing primarily on the healers (the smallest one in front and the dark runed dwarf in the back).
After the initial mobs are down, the lever next to the gate on the left will become active. The raid should now split in half; one half should go down the hallway to reach Thorim, and the other half needs to stay and fight off adds and attacks by Thorim. At this point you will want to have both fire and nature resistance. You will have 5 minutes to complete the gauntlet (getting to Thorim) before he enrages and wipes the raid.
Once Thorim is activated, he will proceed with the fight, progressively gaining damage and attack speed as the fight goes on. This is a passive enrage timer, so speed is not a dependent requirement on his tank phase, but it is helpful.
The gauntlet requires a minimum of a tank, a DPS, and a healer. It is best to have additional DPS (ranged with CC preferred), as much as you can spare from the group killing adds, to quickly reach the end of the gauntlet where Thorim will engage the party. Speed is key at this point, because after five minutes he will wipe the raid. It is also important because everyone in the raid will be taking a lot of damage and healing becomes an issue during the encounter with Thorim.
There are 3 groups of 3 Warbringers. They are sheepable, fearable, mind controllable, etc. Two should be CC'd while you burn down the others. At the end of the hallway, there is a large golem. He raises one arm and does damage to anyone on that side of the hallway, much like the Skadi encounter in Utgarde Pinnacle. A short time after he is engaged he will gain a buff that decreases his damage by 50%, so if using cooldowns it's best to use them early.
After defeating the golem the door behind it will open and mobs will begin to spawn from the top of the stairs. Defeat the two sets of two mobs already standing there and make your way to the top of the stairs. When the giant is pulled he will buff any adds still alive, but the adds will stop spawning. Make sure the healer is in LOS of the tank yet out of the giant's stomp. This can easily be accomplished by bringing the giant to the top of the stairs and having the healer about halfway down.
After the giant is defeated someone must cast an ability on Thorim to get him to enter the arena. Avoid the large circles on the ground as they are traps that will paralyze you for a brief time.
- Entrance Room
Those staying in the room will need to stack up in the middle to avoid the charged orbs around the sides. This will also make AoE healing to allies and AoE damage to enemies easier to dish out. The Large Vrykals do a whirlwind and need to be kept away from the main raid. The evokers casts HoTs that heal for massive amounts and also cast magic damage shield. Both are dispellable and need to be dispelled quickly. Wound poison also help here to reduce the amount they heal. But make sure to spread out when he targets someone with a stormhammer.
Alternatively, you can stay bunched up for stormhammers as damage taken during this phase is light unless someone gets too close to an overcharged orb. If your group chooses this method, it is optimal to make sure the healer with the center group has instant cast and group heals.
Once the gauntlet group reaches Thorim he will jump down, he needs to be picked up by the MT immediately. About 15 seconds in he will do his first Unbalancing strike, when he does this, the OT needs to taunt immediately. When you see the little lightning balls coming from a column this means he is about to use lightning charge, and that side of the room in a 60 degree angle around the column wil be shocked for a very large amount of damage, one shotting players after the third one. Spread out around him to avoid chain lightning links as well.
- Interlopers! You mortals who dare to interfere with my sport will pay... Wait--you...
- I remember you... In the mountains... But you... what is this? Where am--
- Behold the power of the storms and despair!
- Do not hold back! Destroy them!
- Have you begun to regret your intrusion?
Thorim jumps down:
- Impertinent whelps! You dare challenge me atop my pedestal! I will crush you myself!
Killing a player:
- Can't you at least put up a fight!?
Wipe in Arena:
- Failures! Weaklings!
- My patience has reached its limit!
- Stay your arms! I yield!
Defeated on Normal:
- I feel as though I am awakening from a nightmare, but the shadows in this place yet linger.
- Sif... was Sif here? Impossible! She died by my brother's hand. A dark nightmare indeed.
- I need time to reflect. I will aid your cause if you should require it. I owe you at least that much. Farewell.
Defeated on Hard:
- You! Fiend! You are not my beloved! Be gone!
- Behold the hand behind all the evil that has befallen Ulduar! Left my kingdom in ruins, corrupted my brother and slain my wife!
- And now it falls to you, champions, to avenge us all! The task before you is great, but I will lend you my aid as I am able. You must prevail!
- Main article: Cache of Storms
The following achievements are for the encounter's hard-mode.
- Hotfix (2009-05-19): "Thorim's Chain Lightning will no longer affect more than 8 targets in normal and heroic difficulty. "
- Hotfix (2009-05-19): "Thorim's Unbalancing Strike ability will no longer be able to miss and will now function as an "on next swing" ability. "
- Hotfix (2009-05-13): "Thorim's Unbalancing Strike ability will now be used at more consistent intervals. "
- Hotfix (2009-05-07): "The Impale ability used by the Iron Ring Guards in the Thorim encounter should now hit the player tanking them and only that player tanking them. "
- Hotfix (2009-05-04): "In the Thorim encounter, the Iron Ring Guard's Whirling Trip ability will now only hit the tank. "
- Hotfix (2009-04-21): "For the Thorim encounter, the Dark Rune Champion should no longer whirlwind after being disarmed and the Runic Colossus should no longer melee when it charges. "
- Hotfix (2009-04-17): "The damage done by Thorim and Sif in hard mode has been increased in multiple ways. "