Tallstriders are peaceful avian creatures, they are omnivores, witch means they may feast on both meat and plants. Tallstiders tend to graze on grasslands and forests where more food (such as fruits and dead animals) is to come by. Although, some tallstriders may act territorial and/or aggressive towards other species mostly beacause they are protecting their young, or simply want a quick snack. Tallstriders are very well known for their delicious meat and priceless feathers.
- The gnomes modeled their Mechanostrider mounts after striders.
- The blood elf mount is called a Hawkstrider, and looks similar to other striders. The main difference is color and the face. Its running and spacebar animation are also unique, but otherwise it animates very much like an ordinary strider.
The inspiration for the tallstrider is probably some species of immense prehistoric birds like the moa, for instance, or the terrorbirds from South America.
- Tallstriders are skinnable.
- Tallstriders are tamable and become the generic "tallstrider" after taming.
- Most tallstriders are neutral, but Ornery Striders and Mazzranache are hostile, as are the Timberstriders of Azuremyst Isle.
|Specialization (upon taming)|
|The Tallstrider eats|
|The Tallstrider comes with|
|All pets come with|
Though hunters can respec their pet tallstriders into Cunning or Tenacity, they are inherently Ferocity. In addition to the abilities that come standard with all pets ( and ) and those given to their natural or retrained specialization, all tallstriders are given the following:
- Geru Strider
- In Manual of Monsters Appendix Three there are two other subspecies of tallstrider: Axe Beak and Clubnek, however the validity of the source is disputed.
The subspecies below can be tamed by hunters. Tauren hunters start with a purple tallstrider.
Mobs with level numbers can be tamed by hunters.
- [7 Rare]
- [54 Rare]
- [14 Rare]
- Swift Forest Strider (Darkmoon Faire)
- Swift Lovebird (Love is in the Air holiday)
- Swift Shorestrider (TCG Throne of the Tides)
- Swift Springstrider (Noblegarden holiday)
- Although tallstriders are mostly featherless, the bright coloration and horn-like crest on the head could be inspired by the Cassowary.
- Patch 3.1.0 (14-Apr-2009): Bonuses equalized. Damage had a +10% bonus and now has +5% bonus. Armor had no bonus and now has a +5% bonus.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): Major changes. Bite replaced with Claw. Gained new ability, Dust Cloud Tallstriders can now eat bread. Damage had no bonus and now has a +10% bonus.