Have Questions. Must find answers. Edit
1) Toss a torch. At the far end are one person who can juggle (has done and ), one who has not. Will the torch always be caught by the person who can juggle, or will the torch sometimes target the person who cannot (and then be dropped)?
2) Two people who have not gained the Torch Juggler achievement. Both can juggle. A tosses torches to B, but B just catches them, does not toss them back. Who gets progress on the achievement (track via objectives window)? A? B? Both?
- If I remember correctly, those that have not done those 2 starter quests can not catch these items. However, to do the achievement all you have to do is mass spam the item on to yourself, with a minimum of 15 torches (which can be mailed from alts or traded from friends), then you can give the second person the torches so he may do it as way. User:Coobra/Sig4 19:36, 23 June 2009 (UTC)
- What you say is true, of course, and the 2 starter quests should be mentioned. I even put much of that on the page, earlier. But the thrust of #1 is: does the game look for someone qualified to catch the torch (and default to "oops"), or does it just look for "someone"? And #2 is still, if you will, up in the air. :) --Eirik Ratcatcher (talk) 20:04, 23 June 2009 (UTC)
- The achievement requires the player to catch 40 torches. Only player B would receive credit. Now if two people are standing on top of each other one can't juggle the other can, the one that can will get the torch... however, from what I hear (taking your example) if both of those people can juggle, then both will receive the torch... not sure if this was intended by bliz. Thus you could in essence turn 5 torches into 40 with this trick. User:Coobra/Sig4 20:10, 23 June 2009 (UTC)
Being visually impaired (and not having a great computer either), I can't hardly catch one torch, let alone forty. Do the torches follow the same annoying process as the ones for Torch Catching-- flying off at random for you to try and follow? Or are they more staid and limited by terrain? If so I would imagine that the tunnel leading out of Dalaran would be a good place, or perhaps in Vargoth's tower. What with movement in Dalaran looking like security camera footage at a Medieval Times restaurant, I'm not sure how people without super high-end systems will ever get this Achievement.--ClemSnide (talk) 04:59, 4 July 2009 (UTC)
- Answered my own question, but maybe others will profit by my research. Yes, the Violet Spire (which you access using The Schools of Arcane Magic - Mastery is a great place to do this; it's as responsive as WoW used to be before Wrath of the Lich King. And the Torch Juggling mechanism is different from the Torch Catching one. (You still have to go through that quest with at least one chara to unlock the torch item in the vendor, but as mentioned, you can buy them on one and send them to another. They also don't wear out, so you can use them with as many Dalaran-based charas as you like, posting them in between Achievements. When you use a torch, either by clicking or by hotkey, a targetting ciecle is shown; center it on yourself and click. Now alternate the two like a madman. I was able to do it by assigning the torch to an Action Bar slot and tapping its hotkey at the same time as I clicked on my character, not really caring whether I did them in sequence. Eventually I got it, and still had the 15 torches to hand off to my next chara!--ClemSnide (talk) 08:00, 4 July 2009 (UTC)
- Sounds to me that we are talking about Archmage Vargoth's Retreat, ain't it?
- Rhapsodia (talk) 22:41, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
- Trust me... when this cartographer goes on his rounds, not one place is missed... unless in a territory I can't easily enter... like alliance areas, since I have yet to level my alliance toon from 70, but yea, there is no subzone named Violet Spire. User:Coobra/Sig4 19:40, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
- Or else he speaks of the 3 curves flyings around the Purple Citadel summit?
- Rhapsodia (talk) 19:59, 7 July 2009 (UTC)
2010 Changes? Edit
I just did this this morning and had a lot of trouble. I checked here and WoWhead, and there are a lot of 2009 comments to the effect of "It's easy! Just grab ten torches and juggle them!", but a bevy of recent comments complaining that it's incredibly difficult. I fiddled with my settings, found as desolate a spot in Dalaran as I could find (at seven in the morning) and tried my best with between 100 and 150 ms latency. I averaged 35 catches and managed to hit 39 once, but never pulled it off. Eventually I teamed up with someone else and devised a pretty slick way to do it with two people:
Preparation: You'll need about 40 clubs between the two of you. The clubs are Unique (40), so if you wind up with too many the excess will be destroyed. Do not put spares in the bank, if you have any. Mail them to an alt. You might be able to get away with a few less than 40, but I find it's the ideal number.
The Method: Whoever is trying to get the achievement at the moment should carry 10 clubs. The other should carry 30 (or however many you have spare). You don't need very precise timing, but it doesn't hurt. The first person should start juggling onto themselves as they would normally do to try and get the achievement. At the same time the second player should start tossing all of their clubs onto the first. This way you can roughly double your speed towards the achievement. The first player should wind up with 40 clubs in their inventory and the achievement unlocked. Then swap over and repeat.
Don't know if it's necessary, but the guy I teamed up with couldn't break 34 juggles in 15 seconds, and we'd both been trying on our own for about thirty minutes. It only took one try each once we'd got our method sorted. Darien Shields (talk) 11:31, June 22, 2010 (UTC)
- Just have to put the item in an action slot, hold your cursor over your toon and spam click. If item is on the first button of your action bar, you spam 1, click, 1, click, 1 click, repeat. All my toons have this achievement by soloing it. Just did 3 of my toons in less than 10mins back to back a few moments ago. It is still quite easy. User:Coobra/Sig4 06:29, June 23, 2010 (UTC)
*Catching* torches? Edit
The achievement says "juggle". However, the count starts when you *catch* the first one. Given some of the discussion above, I have to wonder if it is counting "number of catches" specifically.
As an experiment, I'd like to see (1) someone toss a torch to "me", see if that registers. If so, then (2) get 4 friends, give them each 10 torches. On the count of "GO", toss them all at me. Anyone in a position to try those experiments? --Eirik Ratcatcher (talk) 18:43, June 25, 2010 (UTC)