|This article concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Southern Barrens is a generic term for all the lands south of Camp Taurajo. This area is considerably more hostile than the lands to the north; the beasts are considerably stronger than those in the lands to the north — with the primary threats being the silithid native to the Field of Giants and the quilboar pushing out from both Razorfen Downs and Razorfen Kraul. As a consequence, the majority of the mobs in this region are at level 20 or above, and the quests are directed towards players of a similar level.
The Horde has much less of a presence here, though it does boast a small number of individual NPCs in the area, as well as a small camp located at the Great Lift.
This area will be its own zone, will be retuned for level 30-35 players and will be hotly contested between two factions that are struggling for control of the zone. Some parts of it will also become lush. Changes to the original Barrens areas are listed below.
- Bael Modan – slightly expanded with new stonework; tiny Horde camp set just to the north called Spearhead
- Bael Modan Excavation Site – now attacked by Horde raiders, though Bael Modan itself is not
- Blackthorn Ridge – the northern corner now has a Goblin-run mine
- Camp Taurajo – burned down by Alliance forces and is now being looted; the nearby road to Mulgore is now blocked by a Tauren-erected gate, The Great Gate
- Field of Giants – west side taken by the Horde who have erected Desolation Hold and are constantly fighting with the Alliance; east side taken by the Alliance, called Fort Triumph; both have flight paths and serve as quest hubs
- Fields of Blood – the Quilboar have more defenses in some areas, but have lost an encampment to the Horde, now called Vendetta Point near Camp Taurajo
- The Great Lift – the road running north of here almost all the way to Blackthorn Ridge has been overrun with giant brambles; the Lift itself appears to be destroyed; just outside the brambles is Mankrik, elite now and fighting the Quilboar; further north is a small, neutral quest hub called Firestone Point, run by the Earthen Ring
- Honor's Stand – the Alliance have taken this pass into Stonetalon Mountains and are erected a gate of their own while fighting off the Horde; full-fledged Alliance camp here with flight master; the Horde have a camp of their own just south of here in the hills called Hunter's Hill, with a flight path and 'The High Road' to enter Stonetalon Mountains
- The Overgrowth – the lands south of the Lushwater Oasis have become overgrown and lush; there is a new Horde camp on the NE side, Camp Una'fe, that houses some of the Camp Taurajo refugees; further to the east is another encampment where Naralex awaits with quests; further east and on the edge of the Overgrowth is a small Alliance camp, Teegan's Expedition
- Northwatch Hold – Controlled by the Alliance and is now a quest hub with flight master; a road leads from the back side down to the shores shared with Dustwallow Marsh where a dock sits – the boat seems to come from the Eastern Kingdoms (according to the NPC); The Hold is under constant attack by the Horde, who have a small camp just to the north in the hills and ships in the water; due west of here and near the main road is an Alliance encampment, Forward Command
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access subzone||Access method|
|Mulgore||1-12||West||Great Gate||By foot or by flightpath|
|Northern Barrens||10-20||North||Great Divide||By foot or by flightpath|
|Stonetalon Mountains||25-30||Northwest||N/A||By foot or flight path|
|Dustwallow Marsh||35-40||East||N/A||By foot or by flight path|
|Thousand Needles||40-45||South||N/A||By foot or by flight path|