|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft after the Mists of Pandaria cleared.
- Were you looking for the new similar resource system added in Mists of Pandaria and extended in Legion for Warlocks, Soul Shards or the item version that was removed from the game in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, ?
Soul Shards are a unique Warlock resource displayed in the user interface beneath the player's health and mana bars similar to Death Knight and Paladin Runes. The resource works in tandem with the Soulburn spell, to empower the next spell the player casts, granting it a special "Secondary" effect, such as increasing its damage or making it an instant cast.
Warlocks have 3 Soul Shards that can be used at any time. Unlike the rune system of Death Knights, if you use one Soul Shard for the Soulburn effect, you will use it up and will have to regenerate it using other abilities. And unlike the rune system of Paladins, existing Soul Shards will not experience decay. Used up Soul Shard slots can be regenerated using out of combat and also in combat from the channeled spell on targets that die and yield experience or honor during the spell effect.
Soulburn has no mana or health costs and is off the global cooldown, but itself has a 45-second cooldown. Secondary effects are outlined here.
- + Summon Demon = summon the demon instantly.
- + Soulburn = Reduces cast time by 50%.
- + Soulburn = Increases movement speed by 50% for 8 seconds after teleporting.
- + Soulburn = Instantly deals damage equal to 30% of its effect.
- + Soulburn = Instant cast.
- Healthstone + Soulburn = Increases total health by 20% for 8 seconds.
- + Soulburn = Increases the crit chance of Searing Pain by 100%, and subsequent Searing Pain spells by 50% for 6 seconds.
- + Soulburn = If the Seed of Corruption detonates, all targets will be afflicted by and the Soul Shard will be returned. If the Seed of Corruption fails to detonate, the Soul Shard is not returned. This effect is enabled through a talent in the Affliction tree.
- β Patch 5.0.1 (Beta): Removed.
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Soul Shards as inventory items have been removed from the game as items. Instead, they now exist as a resource system necessary for using, or altering the mechanics of certain spells.