A totem is the primary tool used by shaman as an instrument of war. Characterized by their immobility and area of effect, totems embody shaman's mastery over the elements. Some totems possess destructive power while others aid and assist allies. Shamanistic cultures outside those of the Horde and draenei also possess the ability use totems in battle.
- Shaman can use multiple totems of each element at any one time: Earth (Nature-based spells), Fire (Fire-based spells), Water (Water/Frost-based spells) and Air (Nature-based spells).
- Totems may be placed at any location within range via a targeting reticule.
- A totem's effect is only active within a certain radius of the totem (making it a hybrid version of Point Blank Area of Effect and Ground Targeted Area of Effect).
- Totems can be planted underwater, and appears floating at the summoned location.
- Totems are immune to AoEs and DoTs, and must be specifically attacked to be destroyed.
- The health of a totem is a percentage of the shaman's own health.
- Totems only trigger a 1 second GCD as opposed to the regular 1.5 second GCD. Totems are also considered Physical spell school so they can be dropped even when silenced.
In LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Prior to Legion, shaman could only cast one of each type of elemental totem at a time. Totems also were relegated to dropping at the feet of the caster and had a fixed, very low, health pool.
In Wrath of the Lich KingThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
As of patch 3.3 each of the horde races have unique totem artwork. 
Allows totems to enhance certain defensive/offensive aspects. Available to all shaman with some exception.
- Counterstrike Totem (Honor talent)
- Grounding Totem (Restoration honor talent)
- Lightning Surge Totem (Talent)
- Spirit Link Totem (Restoration ability)
- Wind Rush Totem (Talent)
- Windfury Totem (Honor talent)
These focus on enhancing defense/offense, and slowing taunting enemies. With the exception of the Earthen Shield Totem, available to all shaman.
- Earthbind Totem (Core ability)
- Earthen Shield Totem (Restoration talent)
- Earthgrab Totem (Talent)
- Voodoo Totem (Talent)
This is primarily used to deal damage.
These are used for restoration-type effects. Available to Restoration shaman only.
- Ancestral Protection Totem (Restoration talent)
- Cloudburst Totem (Restoration talent)
- Healing Stream Totem (Restoration ability)
- Healing Tide Totem (Restoration ability)
- ^ http://www.worldofraids.com/news/169.html
- ^ http://www.wow.com/2009/10/02/patch-3-3-ptr-new-totems-for-trolls/