A sanctuary is an area where PvP combat is impossible to indulge in. Sanctuaries were introduced in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade. Places like Nighthaven and Booty Bay do not count as sanctuaries, because it's still possible to attack enemy players even though the guards will attack players for that. Sanctuaries still should not be compared to neutral zones from Normal and RP realms where you can still attack someone that is flagged for PvP.
- The Stair of Destiny, Hellfire Peninsula
- Shattrath City, Terokkar Forest
- Acherus: The Ebon Hold, Eastern Plaguelands
- Dalaran, Crystalsong Forest
- Argent Tournament Grounds, Icecrown
- The Frozen Halls, Icecrown Citadel, Icecrown