The start of the Netherwing dragon quest line. The last quest of this line will grant you Neutral faction with the Netherwing Drakes.
Completing this quest chain will complicate your ability to farm (for Draconic leatherworking), and your ability to complete the quest chain that starts with "Quest:A Not-So-Modest Proposal".
Something has them spooked, <race>.
<Mordenai points to the nether drakes flying overhead.>
They won't even come down to feed. I have seen several fall to the earth, dead from exhaustion before their bodies hit the ground.
We must save them! The Rocknail flayers that are found near the crystals are their natural prey. Kill flayers and take their carcasses. Place a carcass in the field and stand extremely still. As long as you do not make any aggressive motions, they will not attack you.
I cannot save them by myself, <Name>!
You are a kind and compassionate <race>, friend.
The Rocknail Flayers drop a carcass object. The Rocknail Rippers drop a "Rocknail Giblet". You can mash 5 giblets into one "carcass" for the purposes of this quest.
- Do not have Lightning Shield going.
- Classes with pets should make sure that their pets will not attack the dragon while it lands.
Only the last quest in the chain actually affects your standing with this faction, but it advances you directly to Neutral.
As one of the quest-giving NPCs is perpetually in flight, a flying mount is required to complete the quests in this chain.
Ally of the Netherwing
- Wandering the wilds of Shadowmoon Valley, you come across Mordenai in the Netherwing Fields. Mordenai pleads that you help him feed the Netherdrakes, who have been disturbed by something.
- After cutting down any number of  and s [68-69] , and feeding the drakes, Mordenai suggests that perhaps s [72+] , the patron of the Netherwing dragonflight, can help you discover what the problem is. This does require a flying mount, and a search of the skies over Netherwing Fields.
- You are moved by his tale and offer to help.
- Now that he has hope, Neltharaku first asks that you stir up trouble with the Dragonmaw Fortress, to buy time for him to come up with a plan. You descend upon the fortress and slaughter a few of the orcs there.
- Returning, you find that Neltharaku has indeed come up with a plan. To the southeast lies Netherwing Ledge, a location abounding with . He believes that he can infuse these with enough of his own essence to break the control of the Dragonmaw. s
- You fly down to Netherwing Ledge. Despite the strong Dragonmaw presence, you collect a number of these crystals.
- Neltharaku eagerly enchants these, and passes you the result: an .
- You use this crystal on the [69-71] at sDragonmaw Fortress, and in turn help newly freed drakes against their former captors.
- Neltharaku then asks that you find and free his mate. Unlike the lesser drakes, Karynaku lies chained at the top of Dragonmaw Fortress.
- You reach the bailey of Dragonmaw Fortress, and ... arrange... a few moments to speak with Karynaku. She tells you that the chains themselves are sapping her power, keeping her there.
- The one who holds the , she tells you, is Zuluhed the Whacked, Chieftain of the Dragonmaw Clan.
- You challenge Zuluhed and defeat him, no mean feat. Grabbing the key from the body, you strip the chains from Karynaku.
- Karynaku offers to return you to Mordenai. You are fêted again, and declared an Ally of the Netherwing!
This is the Ally of the Netherwing quest chain.