|The Nexus (5)|
|The Oculus (5)|
|The Eye of Eternity (10/25)|
The Oculus is a 5-man wing of the Nexus in Coldarra (a subregion of Borean Tundra in Northrend) designed for level 80 players. The Oculus is a tower of "magical rings" that float above the ground and the first instance to allow players the use of certain flying mounts. The gate of the oculus is located directly above the nexus gate, requiring the rampway to reach.
Now Malygos uses the Arcanomicon to locate and tap into the ley lines, diverting the magical powers that course beneath the earth to his home base in Northrend, the Nexus. Once harnessed, the energies are focused through the Nexus' ascending rings and blasted into the Twisting Nether. Malygos' redirection of the ley lines has carried disastrous consequences, however – splintering the world's crust and opening unstable rifts: tears in the very fabric of the magical dimension.
|Band of Acceleration · Band of Alignment · Band of Transmutation · Band of Variance|
The entrance to the Oculus is located one level above the Nexus portal in Coldarra. Players must be at least level 75 to enter.
- Air elementals
- Arcane guardians
- Blood elves
- Blue dragon (one, Ley-Guardian Eregos)
- Blue dragonspawn
- Blue dragon whelps
- Blue drakes
- Blue drakonid (one, Varos Cloudstrider)
- Bronze dragon (one, Eternos)
- Bronze drakes
- Fire elementals
- Green dragon (one, Verdisa)
- Green drakes
- High elves
- Red dragon (one, Belgaristrasz)
- Red drakes
- Spiders (critters)
- Water elementals
- Wind serpents
Players start by fighting around the rings and then teleport up a short distance in order to choose a drake. These drakes allow you to fight in the air while progressing through the instance. There are three different drakes, each with its own special abilities. Which drake you choose is independent of your character, for example: a healer may choose to use a tanking drake.
- Ruby Drake - Tank. Summoned by .
- ω ϖ—Breathes a stream of fire at an enemy dragon, dealing 6800 to 9200 Fire damage and then jumping to additional dragons within 30 yards. Each jump increases the damage by 50%. Affects up to 5 total targets. Instant.
- ω ϖ—Allows the Ruby Drake to generate Evasive Charges when hit by hostile attacks and spells. Instant. Passive.
- ω ϖ—Allows your drake to dodge all incoming attacks and spells. Requires Evasive Charges to use. Each attack or spell dodged while this ability is active burns one Evasive Charge. Lasts 30 sec. or until all charges are exhausted. Instant. 5 second cooldown.
- ω ϖ—Redirect all harmful spells cast at friendly drakes to yourself for 10 sec. Instant. 10 second cooldown. This ability is only available during the final boss encounter.
- Amber Drake - DPS. Summoned by .
- ω ϖ—Deals 4822 to 5602 Arcane damage and detonates all Shock Charges on an enemy dragon. Damage is increased by 6525 for each detonated. Instant.
- ω ϖ—Halts the passage of time, freezing all enemy dragons in place for 10 sec. This attack applies 5 Shock Charges to each affected target. Instant. 1 minute cooldown
- ω ϖ—Channels a temporal rift on an enemy dragon for 10 sec. While trapped in the rift, all damage done to the target is increased by 100%. In addition, for every 15,000 damage done to a target affected by Temporal Rift, 1 Shock Charge is generated. Channeled. This ability is only available during the final boss encounter.
- Emerald Drake - Healer. Summoned by .
- ω ϖ—Poisons the enemy dragon, leeching 1300 to the caster every 2 sec. for 12 sec. Stacks up to 3 times. Instant.
- ω ϖ—Consumes 30% of the caster's max health to inflict 25,000 nature damage to an enemy dragon and reduce the damage it deals by 25% for 30 sec. Instant. 10 second cooldown.
- ω ϖ—Transfers 5% of the caster's max health to a friendly drake every second for 10 seconds as long as the caster channels. Channeled. This ability is only available during the final boss encounter.
- Main article: The Oculus loot
|The Nexus quests|
|Quest Name||Quest Giver||Subzone|
|||The Oculus (Daily)|
|||The Oculus (Heroic)|
- The use of flying combat and 3D space about halfway into the instance resulted in enough player confusion that it became one of the most infamous instances in the game, to the point Blizzard acknowledged the problems of players either leaving it out of dungeon queues or immediately dropping group when transported to it.
- Hotfix (2010-01-05): "To encourage players not to shy away from the many invigorating adventures to be had in The Oculus, we will apply a change to enhance the rewards players are provided when selected for this dungeon via the Random Heroic option in the Dungeon Finder. Once Ley-Guardian Eregos is defeated, one loot bag per character will be provided in his chest in addition to the current rewards. Each loot bag will offer players rare gems, two additional Emblems of Triumph, and a chance of being rewarded the . These fine treasures could be yours should you honor your fellow party members by besting the challenges contained within The Oculus! Keep in mind, however, that these extra loot bags will only be awarded to each party member if Oculus is selected by the Dungeon Finder when players choose the Random Heroic option. In light of this change, the will have a chance of dropping in both 10- and 25-player versions of The Eye of Eternity."
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009):
- Azure Ring Guardians aggro distance changed from 50 to 40 yards.
- Many bosses and creatures have had their total health reduced.
- Several bosses and creatures have had cooldowns on specific abilities increased, effect durations reduced, and damage on some of these abilities reduced.
- Ring-Lord Conjurers and Sorceresses now hang out in packs of 4 instead of packs of 5.
- Vehicle scaling on the drakes based on the rider's item level has been increased to make them more powerful.
- Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): Drakes used by players in The Oculus and The Eye of Eternity will now scale in health and damage according to the rider's average item level.