- Nitro Boosts
- Requires: Engineering (405)
- Permanently attaches overpowered nitro boosts to a pair of boots, increasing your critical strike rating by 24 and allowing you to greatly increase run speed for 5 sec.
The nitro boosts can only be activated every 3 minutes and require an Engineering skill of at least 400.
- 5 sec cast
Nitro Boosts is an engineer-only permanent "enchant" to boots. It will give a 5 second speed increase every 3 minutes. The actual speed increase is 150%, which is 50% more than epic land mount.
This item takes the same "spot" as an enchant from Enchanting. It can only be applied to boots in the engineer's inventory, and applying it will cause the boots to become soulbound.
This tinker has the possibility of a backfire, resulting in the engineer being launched straight up into the air. In some cases, a slow-fall buff is applied to reduce the risk of death. In others, the distance launched is unnoticeable, appearing as if they simply failed to activate. In all cases, the cooldown period is started.
- These are very useful for getting some range between you and your target in Battlegrounds, but they do not work in Arenas.
- The speed effect is also very useful for quickly repositioning in PvE: to quickly avoid harmful effects, to close the gap between you and the boss so you can resume DPS, or to get within healing range of a distant raid member.
- The speed boost remains in effect until you touch ground. For example, if you use these and jump off from Dalaran, the speed boost will remain as long as you don't touch ground. Even on flat surfaces, you can squeeze a little bit of extra time out of the speed boost by jumping right before the buff wears off. As always when engaged in long jumps, slow fall effects (such as Parachute Cloak) will be very useful to prevent falling damage.
- Using these when carrying a flag will cause you to drop the flag, just like mounting and bubbling.
Patch 3.2.0 (04-Aug-2009): Duration of speed increased back to 5 seconds (from 2) and Critical strike rating raised from 16 to 24.
Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Duration of speed increase reduced from 5 seconds (to 2). Cooldown reduced from 5 minutes to 3.