- This article is about the 10 and 25-man versions of Naxxramas introduced with Wrath of the Lich King. For the original 40-man raid, introduced in Patch 1.11,, see Naxxramas (original).
Naxxramas is an entry-level raid instance floating above the Dragonblight, and is available in both 10-man and 25-man versions. It has the shape of a necropolis and has the questionable honor to serve as the seat of one of the Lich King's most powerful officers, the dreaded lich Kel'Thuzad.
The original incarnation of the instance was regarded as the most difficult pre-Burning Crusade raid, and required 40 well-equipped players to complete. In the World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King expansion, Naxxramas was moved to Northrend and retuned to be the introductory level 80 raid dungeon. Like all other Wrath raid dungeons, Naxxramas has both 10-man and 25-man versions.
An ancient Nerubian ziggurat, Naxxramas was torn free from the ground by agents of the Lich King to serve as Kel'Thuzad's base of operations as he spreads the plague throughout Lordaeron. ( Other sources say )Obrahiim, the Traveler, a great skeletal architect, was pivotal in the conception of Naxxramas, hinting that it was altered or retooled.
Due to Kel'Thuzad fighting a war against the Scarlet Crusade, the Argent Dawn, the Forsaken and the Humans of the Alliance, as well as constant incursions of adventurers from every race and nation into the Scourge-controlled Plaguelands on a daily basis, his forces have been severely taxed to maintain the security of his necropolis. But now the gates of Naxxramas are open, Kel'Thuzad's new forces are rapidly sweeping away all opposition to the Scourge.
Road to Damnation
Blizzard has posted a short back story for Naxxramas on the official site: Road to Damnation
After the defeat of Kel'Thuzad in the Eastern Plaguelands, Naxxramas has returned to Northrend and now hovers above the Carrion Fields in the Dragonblight, where it lays siege to the Alliance stronghold of Wintergarde Keep.
Naxxramas is the second raid instance to be accessible only by flying mount or a Ritual of Summoning (the first being Tempest Keep). The necropolis model has been modified accordingly; there are openings at the bottom of Naxxramas that lead into a central room with a runic circle (similar to the one in the teleport spire in Plaguewood) and portals that lead into the necropolis itself.
The 10-man version will usually require 2 tanks, 3 healers and 5 dps, in mostly level 80 blues.
- A map from BlizzCon shows what Naxxramas looks like: Necropolis Naxxramas instance
- Map of Abomination Wing: Here
- Map of Plague Wing: Here
- Map of Deathknight Wing: Here
- Map of Spider Wing: Here
- Map of Frostwyrm Lair: Here
- Map for Atlas: Here
- Large size map: Here
- Tactical map (large): Here (.png)
- Tactical map (huge): Here (.tif)
- Map for Sapphiron and Kel'Thuzad: Here
Naxxramas is a massive sprawling Necropolis of interconnected quarters. Players enter at the center of the Necropolis, and then choose one of four wings to progress through. In order of ascending difficulty these are:
- A web-covered wing of Spiders and Cultists of the Cult of the Damned. Three bosses.
- Anub'Rekhan: A beetle-like Nerubian Crypt Lord.
- Grand Widow Faerlina: High ranking Cult-mistress of the Cult of the Damned. Human female.
- Maexxna: A colossal highly poisonous Spider.
- A wing of strange fungus, ghouls, gargoyles, maggots and other plagued monstrosities. Three bosses.
- Noth the Plaguebringer: A Necromancer specialized in curses and summoning.
- Heigan the Unclean: A Necromancer specialized in diseases and dancing.
- Loatheb: A giant Fungal Monster.
- A wing of Death Knights and their steeds. Three bosses.
- Instructor Razuvious: The Death Knight trainer of Naxxramas.
- Gothik the Harvester: Grand Necromancer of the Lich King and the legions he commands.
- The Four Horsemen: Four mounted high ranking Death Knight bosses at once.
- A wing of toxic slime filled with abominations and their creators. Four bosses.
- Patchwerk: A titanic standard Abomination.
- Grobbulus: A slime based Abomination.
- Gluth: An Abomination-Dog created from animal parts.
- Thaddius: A massive Frankenstein-like Abomination with electricity based powers.
- The Frozen Heart of Naxxramas, unlocked by completing the first four quarters. Two bosses.
- Sapphiron, a gigantic frost wyrm.
- The dread Archlich Kel'Thuzad, second in command to the Lich King.
In only one encounter in Naxxramas is it desirable to have resistance gear and that is Sapphiron, who uses many frost damage abilities. However, it is not necessary and there is an achievement for completing the encounter with no resistance.
Naxxramas loot includes the Tier 7 raid sets, which are based on the Tier 3 raid sets which dropped in the original Naxxramas. There are two versions: "Heroes'" sets (i.e. Heroes' Dreadnaught, Heroes' Plagueheart, etc.) for the 10-man, and "Valorous" sets (i.e. Valorous Dreadnaught, Valorous Plagueheart, etc.) for the 25-man. While these sets are inspired by the original Tier 3 sets, they have received significant model updates. For more details, see Naxxramas Loot.
The Raid was cleared for the very first time on both heroic and normal by Ensidia within 3 days after the release of WotLK. Kel'Thuzad fell at 15:30 of the 15th November 08'.
- ^ http://www.egames.de/?ren=news_detail&news_id=65631
- ^ RtD, 3
- ^ Compendium of Fallen Heroes
- ^ Boubouille 2008-09-11. WotLK Beta - Build 8926 Dungeon Loot. Retrieved on 2008-09-11.