The lich Lady Deathwhisper is the Supreme Overseer of the Cult of the Damned and the second boss of the Icecrown Citadel raid. The fight is mostly a DPS race (with a high damage output it becomes significanty easier), but also requires high awareness from all raid members. The 25-player Heroic version of this boss is one of the most difficult encounters in the instance.
- Both Phases
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ)—4500 Shadow damage inflicted every 1 sec to all targets in the affected area for 10 seconds. Instant. 8 yd radius. 6000 on Heroic
- Note: Lady Deathwhisper's D&D uses the same animation as a death knight's but her is a distinct green color, making it easy to distinguish from a friendly player's D&D.
- ω ϖ 50,000 yd range—Subdues the will of target enemy, causing them to become charmed for 20 sec, with their damage dealt increased by 200% and healing done increased by 500% during that time. Instant. Targets three players on 25-man heroic difficulty.
- Phase one only
- —Reanimates a Cult Adherent or a Cult Fanatic.
- ω ϖ 200 yd range—Empowers the Cult Adherent's spells, causing them to deal area damage and making them uninterruptable. 2 sec cast.
- ω ϖ 200 yd range—Transforms one random Cult Fanatic into an undead behemoth, increasing damage dealt by 100%. 2.5 second cast.
- ω ϖ—Envelops the caster in a powerful barrier that continually replenishes any lost health, at the expense of the caster's mana.
- —Sends a shadowy bolt at the enemy, causing 11813 to 13187 Shadow damage. 100 yard range. 2 seconds cast.
- Phase two only
- 40 yd range—Inflicts 50,700 to 53,300 Frost damage to an enemy and reduces its movement speed by 50% for 4 sec. 2 sec cast. Interruptable but unresistable on heroic difficulty. 58,000 to 61,000 on Heroic.
- —Inflicts 14400 to 17600 Frost damage to nearby enemies, reducing their movement speed for 4 sec.. Instant.
- —Calls an unattackable Vengeful Shade that chases a player for a short time, casting Vengeful Blast upon catching them.
- ω ϖ 50,000 yd range—Reduces the target's threat generation by 20%. Instant. Stacks to five. Lasts 30 seconds.
Cult Adherent/Empowered Adherent/Reanimated Adherent
- Health: 220,000
- ω ϖ—Nearly impervious to magical damage. 99% reduction. Reanimated Adherent only.
- ω ϖ 100 yd range—Afflicts an enemy target with a curse that increases ability cooldowns by 15 seconds. 1 sec cast. Curse
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ) 45 yd range—Deals 8788 to 10212 Shadowfrost damage to an enemy target. 2 sec cast. 11563-13437 on Heroic
- 50,000 yd range—A disease dealing Frost damage every 3 seconds and reducing the target's melee and ranged attack speed by 14% for 15 seconds. Instant
- ω ϖ—Envelops the caster in a powerful barrier that reflects all harmful magic, prevents cast interruption, and absorbs up to 100,000 damage before breaking. Instant. Used randomly.
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ) 45 yd range—Deals 11563 to 13437 Shadowfrost damage to all enemies within 10 yards of the target. 2 sec cast. Only cast while empowered. 11563-13437 on Heroic
- —The caster surrenders to dark energies, exploding to deal 12000 Shadowstorm damage to all enemies within 15 yards, and leaving only skeletal remains behind, thus becoming reanimated after a few seconds of death. 4 sec cast. Cast randomly
Cult Fanatic/Deformed Fanatic/Reanimated Fanatic
- ω ϖ—Nearly impervious to physical damage. 99% reduction. Reanimated Fanatic only.
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ) Melee range—Strikes an enemy with a cursed blade, dealing 70% of weapon damage to the target and inflicting a lasting malady that negates the next 14000 healing received. Instant. 20 sec duration. 20000 healing on Heroic
- ω ϖ—Empowers the caster with dark might, increasing all damage dealt by 25% and heals the caster for 300% of his damage dealt. Instant. Magic. 15 sec duration. Used randomly.
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ) Melee range—Inflicts 15913 to 17587 Shadow damage to enemies in front of the attacker. Next melee. 8 yard radius. 19000-21000 on Heroic (6 sec cooldown)
- ω ϖ Melee range—Inflicts 23160 to 24840 Shadowfrost damage to all enemies within 20 yards of the target.
- Both Phases
- Phase one only
- —Reanimates a Cult Adherent or a Cult Fanatic.
- ω ϖ 200 yd range—Empowers the recipient's spells, causing them to deal area damage and making them uninterruptable. 2 sec cast.
- —Inflicts 9,188 to 11,812 Shadow damage to an enemy. 100 yard range. 2 seconds cast.
- Phase two only
- 40 yd range—Inflicts 37,000 Frost damage to an enemy and reduces its movement speed by 50% for 4 seconds. 2 sec cast. Interruptable but unresistable on heroic difficulty. 44,850 to 47,150 on Heroic.
- —Inflicts 10800 to 13200 Frost damage to nearby enemies, reducing their movement speed for 4 sec. Instant.
- Health: 220,000
- ω ϖ—Nearly impervious to magical damage. 99% reduction. Reanimated Adherent only
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ) 45 yd range—Deals 6938 to 8062 Shadowfrost damage to an enemy target. 2 sec cast. 8788-10212 on Heroic
- ω ϖ—Envelops the caster in a powerful barrier that reflects all harmful magic, prevents cast interruption, and absorbs up to 50,000 damage before breaking. Instant. Used randomly.
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ) 45 yd range—Deals 9250 to 10750 Shadowfrost damage to all enemies within 10 yards of the target. 2 sec cast. Only cast while empowered. 11563-13437 on Heroic
Cult Fanatic/Deformed Fanatic/Reanimated Fanatic
- ω ϖ—Nearly impervious to physical damage. 99% reduction. Reanimated Fanatic only
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ) Melee range—Strikes an enemy with a cursed blade, dealing 70% of weapon damage to the target and inflicting a lasting malady that negates the next 9000 healing received. Instant. 20 sec duration. 14000 healing on Heroic
- ω ϖ (Heroic modeω ϖ) Melee range—Inflicts 14250 to 15750 Shadow damage to enemies in front of the attacker. Next melee. 8 yard radius. 19000-21000 on Heroic (6 sec cooldown)
- ω ϖ Melee range—Inflicts 17370 to 18630 Shadowfrost damage to all enemies within 15 yards of the target.
This encounter requires two tanks (in 25 player a third tank is optional). The encounter is not particularly healing intensive, so two healers (five in 25-player) are fine. The raid sets up within range of the boss at the center of the room. In 10 player, one tank alternates between the left and right gates (starting left), while the other tank can DPS. In 25 player, one tank stands left, the other right, and the optional third one at the stairs. With two tanks in 25 player, the add from the stairs must be misdirected to one of the side tanks.
Her enrage timer is 10 minutes.
This Phase is all about killing the adds quickly and efficiently. Ranged DPS in particular need to switch their target frequently, and be highly aware of the general situation.
Phase 1 ends as soon as her mana shield is down. During the phase, all damage she takes is deducted from her mana, Phase 2 starts as soon as it reaches zero. Phase 1 should not take longer than 7 minutes, else there won't be enough time to kill her prior to the enrage.
During Phase 1 she needs no tank. She spams Shadow Bolt, Death and Decay and Dominate Mind on random raid members (Dominate Mind is only cast in 25-player mode, it affects one raid member in normal mode, and multiple targets in heroic mode). The mind controlled raid members need to be Crowd Controlled.
Also randomly, she places Death and Decay, and AoE DoT. Raid members need to move out of this quickly.
After 5 seconds of combat and every 60 seconds thereafter 3/7 (10/25 player) adds spawn. In 10 player, 3 adds spawn alternatively from the three gates on the left and right side. In 25 player, 3 adds spawn on each side every time, and a seventh add of a random type spawns on the stairs. The three gates on the left side of the room always spawn two fanatics and one adherent, the right side gates one fanatic and two adherents. All types of adds can be CC'd.
Living adds can explode (dark martyrdom) at random times, which deals AoE damage and turns them into their reanimated versions. Reanimated Fanatics (melee) are immune to physical damage, Reanimated Adherents are immune to magical damage. Also at random, Lady Deathwhisper buffs living adds. Buffed Adherents become "Empowered Adherents", adding an uninterruptible AOE spell to their abilities, buffed Fanatics are "Deformed Fanatics" and double their melee damage output. These four special add types are the most dangerous, and must be killed as priority targets.
Adherents are caster mobs who spam deathchill bolt, put a cooldown increasing curse on random players, and sometimes shield themselves with a spell reflect shield. The shield (Shroud of the Occult) takes 50,000 damage to remove. While the shield is on them, silencing effects like do not work.
Fanatics have a high melee DPS output and a vicious cleave (melee DPS must take care to stand behind them). When buffed (as Deformed Fanatics), they double their damage output. Deformed Fanatics should be kited, which is quite easy because their movement speed is halved. Fanatics (either normal or deformed) are sometimes buffed with Vampiric Might which is another 25% damage increase, plus a self heal for 3x the damage they cause. This can (and should) be removed with a Shaman's or a Mage's . Spellsteal is the preferred method since it benefits the Mage.
Any adds present when the mana shield is depleted stay up for phase 2. If an add wave was about to spawn it may still spawn after Phase 2 started. If such a situation is likely to develop, stop DPS should be called.
The basic method described above is to assign the tanks to the spawn locations. The left and right sides also get a fixed set of melee damage dealers (more to the right side, fewer to the left). When adds spawn, all ranged DPS switch and kill the adds right where they spawn. After all adds are dead, all damage dealers switch back to the Boss, a few seconds prior to the next wave, melee run back to the spawn locations.
This method feels rather natural and it leads to a distributed setup, which helps minimizing the effect of Death and Decay. The drawbacks are rather low DPS (particularly by melee), and frequent target switching.
With some practice, melee can concentrate on the caster adds, and ranged help on the melee adds, if overall DPS is high enough, ranged need to switch only if one of the special adds comes up. Adherents can be gathered by Line of sight pulling, using the nearby walls.
Because of their heavy reliance on DoTs, Affliction Warlocks and Shadow Priests might be more useful if they're assigned to continually attack the boss, and only attack the adds in cases of emergency, as burst damage tends to bring the adds down fairly quickly.
A different approach is to group all ranged and healers behind the boss (opposite to the stairs), and set up the tanks and melee group on the stairs side of the boss (on the edge of her hitbox). The whole raid hits the boss until adds spawn. At that time, the DPS casters set up an AoE kill zone (including some snares) right on the melee group. Adds normally aggro healers. Melee adds try to move to them and usually die while passing through the kill zone. Caster adds frequently stop outside the kill zone (and their shields protect them from the AoE). As in the normal method, tanks and melee must move to the caster adds, but the casters stand much closer to the melee group, and thus melee don't have to run far.The special add types still need extra care.
The advantage of this tactic is that damage output is substantially higher, and AoE healing is more effective. The drawback is that the raid stands quite concentrated on one spot, this makes Death and Decay much more dangerous.
After her shield is down, Lady Deathwhisper switches to a new set of abilities, she gets an aggro table (in effect her threat is reset) and also starts to melee and cast Frostbolt volley. No more Adherents or Fanatics spawn, instead Vengeful Spirits randomly spawn near players.
Her Frostbolt spell should be interrupted. Dominate Mind and Death and Decay continue as before. She stacks an ability called Touch of Insignificance on her tank. This reduces threat generation by 20% per stack (stacks to 5). On normal difficulty, she can be taunted. The standard tactic (on normal mode) is for the tanks to taunt her off each other to allow the debuff to fall off. In theory a single tank can keep her by using taunt on every CD, but this is only a short-term solution as diminishing returns ensures that she eventually becomes taunt-immune.
Vengeful Spirits pick a random target and follow it for 10 seconds, they explode for 25,000 shadowfrost AoE damage when they catch up. In normal difficulty it's possible to heal through this, in heroic mode probably not. Players targeted by a Vengeful Spirit need to kite it until it goes away.
Other than every ability simply hitting harder the main difference in the encounter that may encourage groups to alter their strategy is a shortened enrage timer and doubled hit points (but not mana) on Lady Deathwhisper thus extending phase two.
The heroic encounter is similar to the M'uru encounter. Raids probably cannot focus all DPS on adds because more damage must be done on Deathwhisper. It seems likely that Crowd Control may be needed on at least some of the adds through the entirety of phase 2 in order to beat the enrage timer, at least until the encounter is outgeared.
Confirmed live heroic mode differences:
- Immune to taunt.
- One/Three mind controls (10/25 player).
- Adds continue to spawn in phase 2.
- Vengeful Shades explode in a 20 yard radius instead of single target.
One novel strategy is to have one tank kite the Fanatics around the room for the entirety of the fight much like the Razorgore the Untamed encounter in Blackwing Lair since they are affected by all movement impairing effects.
|Cult Adherent||None||Curse of Torpor, Shroud of the Occult|
|Reanimated Adherent||Nearly impervious to magical damage|
|Empowered Adherent||Nearly impervious to magical damage||Deathchill Blast (splash damage)|
|Cult Fanatic||None||Shadow Cleave , Vampiric Might, Necrotic Strike|
|Reanimated Fanatic||Nearly impervious to physical damage|
|Deformed Fanatic||Nearly impervious to physical damage||Deals double damage|
- You have found your way here, because you are among the few gifted with true vision in a world cursed with blindness.
- You can see through the fog that hangs over this world like a shroud, and grasp where true power lies.
- Fix your eyes upon your crude hands: the sinew, the soft meat, the dark blood coursing within.
- It is a weakness; a crippling flaw.... A joke played by the Creators upon their own creations.
- The sooner you come to accept your condition as a defect, the sooner you will find yourselves in a position to transcend it.
- Through our Master, all things are possible. His power is without limit, and his will unbending.
- Those who oppose him will be destroyed utterly, and those who serve -- who serve wholly, unquestioningly, with utter devotion of mind and soul -- elevated to heights beyond your ken.
- What is this disturbance?! You dare trespass upon this hallowed ground? This shall be your final resting place.
- Phase Two
- Enough! I see I must take matters into my own hands!
- Dominate Mind
- You are weak, powerless to resist my will!
- Dark Empowerment
- Take this blessing and show these intruders a taste of our master's power.
- Dark Transformation
- I release you from the curse of flesh!
- Animate Dead
- Arise and exult in your pure form!
- Killing a player
- Do you yet grasp of the futility of your actions?
- Embrace the darkness... Darkness eternal!
- This charade has gone on long enough.
- All part of the masters plan! Your end is... inevitable!
|10-player mode||25-player mode||Objective|
|Defeat Lady Deathwhisper with at least five different types of Cultists active at the time of her demise|
|( )||( )||Defeat the first four bosses in Icecrown Citadel|
- Hotfix (2010-01-05): "The Lady Deathwhisper encounter has seen the following changes in the 25 player normal version: mana pool has been reduced, the health on all adds has been reduced, and Adherents will wait a little longer after spawning before they start casting."
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): Added.
- Lady Deathwhisper is the only lich in the game known to be female.
- Her model's name is called the "Minister of Death".
10-player Normal encounter
10-player Heroic encounter
25-player Normal encounter
25-player Heroic encounter