Origins and Organization
Following the establishment of the city-state of Dalaran, the magocrats formed the Kirin Tor as a specialized sect that was charged with cataloguing and researching every spell, artifact, and magic item known to mankind at the time.
The Kirin Tor is also referred to as the Magus Senate of Dalaran, which is is divided into two sections, the Councils and the Archmagi, each of which is itself divided into two sections. The Councils are comprised of the Six and the Twelve - the Six being based on seniority, the Twelve elected (usually votes go based on magical power). The Archmages are divided into the Mage's Union and the Sorcerer's League. The Six and the Twelve do not always agree, and as they hold equal power, this may lead to cases where the right hand does not know what the left is doing, though the internal political disputes have never resulted in violence.
One of the tasks of the Kirin Tor was to safeguard and wield the Eye of Dalaran in defence of their city.
Currently, the remaining members of the Kirin Tor strive to rebuild their once-magnificent capital following its destruction by Archimonde.
Being a collection of the greatest mages in the land, the Kirin Tor naturally has many members who have had significant effects on the history of Azeroth, including both great wizards and those who delved too deeply into necromancy, demonology, and other warlock magics.
- Archmage Antonidas (human, longtime leader of the Kirin Tor)
- Archmage Arugal (human)
- Drenden (human, member of the Six)
- Kel'Thuzad (human, turned to the Scourge)
- Archmage Khadgar (human; title under dispute, refered to alternately as Archmage and Arch-Wizard)
- Krasus (red dragon, former member of the Six)
- Modera (human, member of the Six)
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore (human - typically classed as a sorceress, technically a wizard)
- Rhonin (human- no specific rank)
- Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider (high elf)
The novel Day of the Dragon describes a meeting of the Six. The Last Guardian mentions seven members of the Kirin Tor and lists five by name. Antonidas, Jaina and Kel'Thuzad are the only ones mentioned in the games.