Hogger is a level 11 elite named Riverpaw gnoll chieftain in Southern Elwynn Forest. A quest exists offering a reward for his killing from the Westbrook Garrison in Elwynn Forest, near the border with Westfall. He is an indirect agent of the Defias Brotherhood along with the rest of his Riverpaw tribe.
He can be soloed relatively easily at level 14. Adventurers below that level are advised to find some friends before attempting to slay him. Skilled players could possibly be able to solo him with Druid, Hunter, Warrior, Warlock, Paladin, or Priest at level 11. Another way to solo him is by kiting him to the nearby tower and let the two guards kill him. You must make sure to do most of damage though because if you do not then you will not get to loot him.
Hogger has a reputation as a particularly dangerous foe, primarily because he is one of, if not the first, elite mobs a human will meet. Thus, new players will sometimes, not knowing what the elite tag indicates, horribly underestimate him and be killed with great ease.
Hogger is also used as a joke when it comes to where loot drops. Many people will jokingly say that items such as , , , and are rare drops from Hogger. Keep in mind that Hogger has no extraordinary loot, and these claims are false. Hogger is also often referred to as an extraordinarily difficult mob on par with other raid bosses, which has no basis in fact and serves only to glorify him.
- In a PC World article, Hogger was voted as #24 of the 47 "most diabolical videogame villains of all time."
- The upcoming Character Battle VII of GameFAQs includes Hogger as an entry in Division 7. His description reads: "An unbeatable 40-man raid boss in World of Warcraft. No guild can take him down."
- In WotLK, many player stats are tracked, including deaths to various things (Mobs, Lava, Drowning, etc). One such way of dying recorded is deaths to Hogger. No doubt we'll see a lot of 70 locks, naked and Life Tapping furiously in front of him, as soon as 3.0.2 goes live.
- Hogger has become the "Chuck Norris" for numerous circles of WoW players. Jokes include:
- "Blizzard once tried to remove Hogger from the game. Hogger called his friends Mr.T the Night Elf Mohawk and Verne Troyer the Mage. Blizzard was shut down for a month and later announced that Arthas was really Hogger all along." -Cogswick of Lightbringer
- Hogger has been compared with the Devil because he has 666 health and is evil.