The Gunship Battle is an aerial battle between the gunships Skybreaker and Orgrim's Hammer around the spire of Icecrown Citadel. The encounter has some fun elements, and most guilds and PuGs manage it easily, therefore it is often referred to as the "Lootship Battle".
All NPCs have the same abilities regardless whether they're Alliance or Horde, only their designations change.
- Gunship Cannon
- ω ϖ 150 yd range—Launches a cannonball at the target. Inflicts 1000 Siege damage and generates 6 to 10 Heat. Instant
- ω ϖ 150 yd range—Consumes all of the cannon's Heat to launch a massive ball of fire at the target. Inflicts 1000 Siege damage plus additional damage per point of Heat. Instant
- Muradin Bronzebeard / High Overlord Saurfang
- —Increases all damage done by 5%. Instant. 20 sec duration. +7% in 25-player mode
- ω ϖ Melee range—Inflicts 120% of normal melee damage to an enemy and its nearest allies, affecting up to 3 targets. Instant (6 sec cooldown)
- ω ϖ 50,000 yd range—Throws your weapon at the enemy causing 3010 to 3990 weapon damage and an additional 2000 Physical damage every 3 sec for 18 sec. Instant
- Skybreaker Sorcerer / Kor'kron Battle-Mage
- ω ϖ 50,000 yd range—Freezes the target in a block of ice by concentrating and freezing moisture in the air. The caster must channel to maintain the ice block. Instant
- Skybreaker Mortar Soldier / Kor'kron Rocketeer
- ω ϖ 50,000 yd range—Launches a rocket that explodes on impact, inflicting Fire damage to nearby enemies and Siege damage to the enemy gunship. 5 sec cast
- Skybreaker Sergeant / Kor'kron Sergeant
- ω ϖ—Instantly Whirlwind up to 4 nearby targets and for the next 6 sec you will perform a whirlwind attack every 1.0 sec. While under the effects of Bladestorm, you can move but cannot perform any other abilities but you do not feel pity or remorse or fear and you cannot be stopped unless killed. Instant (7 sec cooldown)
- ω ϖ Melee range—Inflicts 200% weapon damage and leaves the target wounded, reducing the effectiveness of any healing by 25% for 10 sec. Instant. -40% healing in 25-player mode.
- ω ϖ—Increases armor and attack speed by 60%. Instant. +120% Armor in 25-player mode.
- Skybreaker Marine / Kor'kron Reaver
- Skybreaker Rifleman / Kor'kron Axethrower
- ω ϖ 50,000 yd range—Shoot at the target, inflicting 3800 to 4200 Physical damage. 2 sec cast. 5700-6300 in 25-player mode
- ω ϖ 50,000 yd range—Hurl an axe at the target, inflicting 3800 to 4200 Physical damage. 2 sec cast. 5700-6300 in 25-player mode
- Shared abilities
- ω ϖ 50,000 yd range—Throws gob of burning pitch that sets the target area aflame, inflicting 17250 Siege damage and an additional 7500 Fire damage over 3 sec. 2.5 sec cast
All enemy NPCs except the Commanders and the Battle-Mage/Sorceror gain experience the longer they are left alive, starting from Regular and progressing to Experienced, then Veteran, and finally Elite. Depending on rank, damage and attack speed are increased.
|Enemy NPC experience buffs|
|Rank||Damage increase||Speed increase|
Due to this progression it's a good idea to kill enemy NPCs quickly.
Both ships deal siege damage to each other. The one going down first loses the battle. Siege damage is dealt to the enemy ship by firing the guns. The enemy gunship deals siege damage to the player's ship by shooting rockets.
Besides this siege battle, the players have to deal with enemy boarding parties and also need to send an offensive boarding party on the enemy ship from time to time. Additionally, the rocket teams and other enemy ranged damage dealers keep strafing all players. The rockets can be avoided by moving away from their target marks (similar to Mimiron's rockets, but less damaging than these), the ranged damage can simply be healed through.
The raid should be split up in a (smaller) offensive team which includes enough damage dealers (melee preferred) to man the guns, one tank and an appropriate number of healers (1 in 10 player, 2-3 in 25 player), and a (larger) defensive team including everyone else.
Only the offensive team needs the jet packs provided by the engineer NPC on the player's ship, but usually the whole raid finds them interesting enough that everybody takes one. They need to be equipped before entering combat, as they are a clothing item (shirt) and cannot be equipped once in combat. The jump pack is used by 'using' it and selecting a destination to jump to (this is usually "practiced" intensely before the battle starts).
The defensive team is concerned with keeping the player's gunship free of enemy boarding parties and with killing enemy ranged attackers.
Enemy boarders who don't have players on their aggro list instead attack the player's gunship with burning pitch, which deals very high amounts of siege damage. Therefore, all members of the enemy boarding party must be tanked immediately. Ranged AoE is highly effective. Due to their whirlwind, melee must be careful until all Sergeants are dead.
A few seconds after all members of the previous boarding party are dead, a new boarding party spawns. It may be a good idea to leave the last member of the boarding party alive for some time, so that the ranged damage-dealers can kill the ranged damage dealers on the enemy ship. Another option is to dedicate some ranged damage-dealers full-time to killing the mobs on the enemy ship.
The offensive team consists of melee attackers, a tank, and dedicated healers for that tank.
The offensive team fires the guns until they're frozen. This freeze occurs every 45 seconds or so. When the guns are frozen, they cannot fire. They're unfrozen by killing the mage on board of the enemy ship. The offensive team leaves the guns and jumps over to the other ship (the healers can actually stay on the edge of their own ship). The tank needs to keep the enemy commander busy. The enemy commander gains a stacking buff while in combat, thus the offensive party must be quick to kill the mage (depending on tank gear 20-30 seconds). After the mage is dead, they jump back and resume firing the guns.
Even if the boarding party is fast, they should not try to kill a few extra mobs on the enemy ship - it is more efficient to quickly man the guns again.
The offensive team must be careful not to leave behind anything which could keep the enemy commander in combat (totems, pets or the like). Back on the player's ship, the offensive team should move away from the enemy ship to make sure the Commander gets out of combat.
The ship's guns have two different attacks: a normal shot bound to "1" which deals 1000 siege damage. Firing a normal shot also generates between 6 to 10 heat, which fills up the heat gauge on the gun (begins at 0, maximum 100, losing 1-2 heat per second while not firing). The second shot is bound to "2". It's a heated shot which immediately expels all the accumulated heat on the gun and deals 1000 siege damage plus extra damage for each unit of heat, up to just under 10000 with a nearly filled bar. If the heat meter reaches or exceeds 100, the gun overheats and both shots are locked for five seconds until all heat has been drained.
Both types of shot not only deal siege damage but also damage enemy mobs, thus shots should be angled at the rocketeers/ranged NPCs.
The siege damage to the player's ship is mainly dealt by the rocketeers. So disrupting them and not allowing them to gain high levels of experience significantly reduces the damage done to the player's ship. This is most effectively done by the gunners shooting at the rocketeers.
Keep everything this same, except for the Offensive squad. If the tank and his/her healer can hold the boarding party long enough, all of the DPS can jump to the far boat to down the enemy mage faster, resulting in a faster battle and more time to DPS the enemy boat down. Make sure the tank and healer can handle the mobs long enough for your raid to get over there and back without dying. Try kiting them over to the leader to have him assist if needed.
- Rockets have a 7 Yard knockback
- Mage has more HP
- Enemy Gunship has more HP
|10-player mode||25-player mode||Objective|
|Claim victory in the Gunship Battle without any raid member visiting the enemy gunship more than twice|
|( )||( )||Defeat the first four bosses in Icecrown Citadel|
- First squad assisted
- Kor'kron Primalist says: Thank the spirits for you, brothers and sisters. The Skybreaker has already left. Quickly now, to Orgrim's Hammer! If you leave soon, you may be able to catch them.
- Kor'kron Invoker says: This should be helpin'ya!
- Kor'kron Invoker summons a Kor'kron Battle Standard.
- Second squad assisted
- Kor'kron Defender says: Aka'Magosh, brave warriors. The alliance is in great number here.
- Kor'kron Defender says: Captain Saurfang will be pleased to see you aboard Orgrim's Hammer. Make haste, we will secure the area until you are ready for take-off.
- A screeching cry pierces the air above!
- A Spire Frostwyrm lands just before Orgrim's Hammer.
- Event begin
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: Rise up, sons and daughters of the Horde! Today we battle a hated enemy of the Horde! LOK'TAR OGAR! Kor'kron, take us out!
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: What is that?! Something approaching in the distance!
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: ALLIANCE GUNSHIP! ALL HANDS ON DECK!
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Move yer jalopy or we'll blow it out of the sky, orc! The Horde's got no business here!
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: You will know our business soon! KOR'KRON, ANNIHILATE THEM!
- Boarding Orgrim's Hammer
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Marines, Sergeants, attack!
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: You DARE board my ship? Your death will come swiftly.
- New Riflemen Spawned
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Riflemen, shoot faster!
- New Mortar Team Spawned
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Mortar team, reload!
- New Mage Spawned
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: We're taking hull damage, get a sorcerer out here to shut down those cannons!
- Horde victory
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: The Alliance falter. Onward to the Lich King!
- Horde defeat
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: Damage control! Put those fires out! You haven't seen the last of the Horde!
- First squad assisted
- Skybreaker Vindicator says: Thank goodness you arrived when you did, heroes. Orgrim's Hammer has already left. Quickly now, to The Skybreaker! If you leave soon, you may be able to catch them.
- Skybreaker Sorcerer says: This ought to help!
- Skybreaker Sorcerer summons a Skybreaker Battle Standard.
- Second squad assisted
- Skybreaker Protector says: You have my thanks. We were outnumbered until you arrived.
- Skybreaker Protector says: Captain Muradin is waiting aboard The Skybreaker. We'll secure the area until you are ready for take off.
- Skybreaker Protector says: Skybreaker infantry, hold position!
- A screeching cry pierces the air above!
- A Spire Frostwyrm lands just before The Skybreaker.
- Event begin
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Fire up the engines! We got a meetin' with destiny, lads!
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Hold on to yer hats!
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: What in the world is that? Grab me spyglass, crewman!
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: By me own beard! HORDE SAILIN' IN FAST 'N HOT!
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: EVASIVE ACTION! MAN THE GUNS!
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Cowardly dogs! Ye blindsided us!
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: This is not your battle, dwarf. Back down or we will be forced to destroy your ship.
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Not me battle? I dunnae who ye think ye are, mister, but I got a score to settle with Arthas and yer not gettin' in me way! FIRE ALL GUNS! FIRE! FIRE!
- Boarding The Skybreaker
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: Reavers, Sergeants, attack!
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: What's this then?! Ye won't be takin' this son o' Ironforge's vessel without a fight!.
- New Axethrowers Spawned
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: Axethrowers, hurl faster!
- New Rocketeers Spawned
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: Rocketeers, reload!
- New Battle-Mage Spawned
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: We're taking hull damage, get a battle-mage out here to shut down those cannons!
- Alliance victory
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Don't say I didn't warn ya, scoundrels! Onward, brothers and sisters!
- Alliance defeat
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: Captain Bartlett, get us out of here! We're taken too much damage to stay afloat!
Solo Heroic encounterEdit
10-player Normal encounterEdit
10-player Heroic encounterEdit
25-player Normal encounterEdit
25-player Heroic encounterEdit
- Hotfix (2009-12-16): "Muradin and Saurfang will no longer gain stacks of Battlefury from totems. Additionally, the duration of Battlefury has also been reduced."
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): Added.