|Casting time||Instant cast|
- There is only one kind of cold the dwarves of Dun Morogh fear.
In addition to its significant direct damage (which is instant cast and does not reset the shaman's melee attack), frost shock also snares the target. In PvE, it's useful against runners, slowing their retreat if the shock doesn't kill them outright. It can also be used for kiting high level mobs in certain raid situations (Coilfang Striders for example). Against ranged opponents (in PvP, casters and hunters), the shaman can use this power to stay up close to use melee. Against melee classes like warriors and rogues, shamans use this ability to maintain their distance.
- It has 6 seconds cooldown linked to other shocks (global cooldown), which makes all the Shocks unusable for 6 seconds.
- Can be "Reflect"-ed by warriors and mages.
- Causes a lot of threat, as of 2.0.3.
- Convection reduces its cost by 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10%.
- Concussion increases its damage by 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5%.
- Reverberation reduces the cooldown of all Shock spells by 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 or 1 second.
- Elemental Focus its critical strikes has a chance to put the casting Shaman into the Clearcasting state which reduces the cost of the Shaman's next 2 damage or healing spells by 40%.
- Elemental Fury increases its critical strike damage by 20, 40, 60, 80 or 100%.
- Elemental Precision increases its chance to hit by 1, 2 or 3% and reduces its threat by 10, 20 or 30%.
- While active, Elemental Mastery will increase its critical strike chance by 100% and reduce its cost by 100%.
- Shamanistic Focus reduces its cost by 45%.
- Frozen Power gives it a 50% or 100% chance to root the target in Ice for 5 sec, when used on targets at or further than 15 yards.
- Mental Quickness reduces its cost by 2, 4 or 6%.
- Glyph of Frost Shock increases its debuff duration by 2 seconds.
Previously, Frost Shock was considered the "I win button" of Shamans, owing to the ability to permanently snare other players, such as in the prior entry:
- With a ridiculous combination of high-damage, an instant cast, an eight-second effect, and a six-second cooldown, it would be foolish not to constantly Frost Shock other players or mobs until a win occurs. Once they are within melee range, drop an Earthbind Totem against melee mobs/players (or grounding for casters) and hack away for an easy win.
With Patch 2.3, Frost Shock no longer suffers from diminishing returns. Prior to that it suffered from Diminishing Returns, which rendered each application of the snare weaker and weaker until the third use, at which point the target was immune for 15 seconds.