There is only one kind of cold the dwarves of Dun Morogh fear.
Instantly shocks the target with frost, causing XX Frost damage (see rank table for damage per each rank level).and slowing movement speed to 50% of normal. Lasts 8 sec.
In addition to its not-insignificant direct damage (which is insta-cast and does not reset the shaman's melee attack), frost shock also snares the target. In PvE, it's useful against runners, slowing their retreat if the shock doesn't kill them outright. Against ranged opponents (in PvP, casters and hunters), the shaman can use this power to stay up close to use melee. Against melee classes like warriors and rogues, shamans use this ability to maintain their distance.
- Casting Time: Instant Cast
- Range: 20 yards
- Secondary effect: Slow a target to 50% of normal for 8 seconds.
- Cooldown: 6 seconds Global Shock Cooldown
- It has 6 seconds cooldown linked to other shocks (global cooldown), which makes all the Shocks unusable for 6 seconds.
- Useless against high Frost resistant players/mobs.
- Is affected by diminishing returns, the first snare lasts 8 sec, on second cast 4 sec, third 2 sec then the target is immune to it for 15 seconds after expiration of the last snare.
(won't be affected by diminishing returns anymore from patch 2.3 on)
Previously, Frost Shock was considered the "I win button" of Shamans, owing to the ability to permanently snare other players, such as in the prior entry:
With a ridiculous combination of high-damage, an instant cast, an eight-second effect, and a six-second cooldown, it would be foolish not to constantly Frost Shock other players or mobs until a win occurs. Once they are within melee range, drop an Earthbind Totem against melee mobs/players (or grounding for casters) and hack away for an easy win."
- The Mage talent Winter's Chill benefits this ability.
- The Warlock curse Curse of the Elements benefits this ability.