Flame Leviathan is the first boss encounter in Ulduar, found in the Formation Grounds. Most of the players in this encounter do not use their regular class abilities, but instead work with siege vehicles to destroy this machine (similar to drakes in Malygos' third phase). The rest of Ulduar is not accessible until this boss is destroyed.
Hard Mode requires players to defeat Flame Leviathan with at least one — and up to all four — towers active.
Before the Flame Leviathan fight, players enter one of three vehicles: a Salvaged Chopper, Salvaged Demolisher, or Salvaged Siege Engine. Players must fight through a large Iron dwarf army to finally reach Flame Leviathan, and defeat him with the vehicles. Unlike other vehicles, the effectiveness of the vehicle is increased by the controller's gear.  Mimiron built the Flame Leviathan as part of the V0-L7R-0N weapons platform, and as a result, this tank packs quite a punch. Flame Leviathan also has different hard modes. The Flame Leviathan fight includes four towers, which if left undestroyed, make the encounter more difficult and result in more loot and achievements, similar to Sartharion in Obsidian Sanctum.
At Expedition Base Camp at the very beginning of the instance, players are granted access to salvaged vehicles: five of each type in Heroic difficulty, and two of each in Normal. Everyone in the raid is assigned to one of five roles:
- Siege Engine Driver – rams down buildings, knocks back enemies with a silence, and boosts speed to ram in or out of harm's way.
- Siege Engine Passenger/Gunner – brings down pyrite ammo in the air, and assists in shooting targets on the ground. Catch oil slicks on fire with the anti-air missile.
- Demolisher Driver – launches long-range fireballs and special pyrite barrels that deal massive damage.
- Demolisher Passenger/Gunner – salvages pyrite ammo and refills the demolisher, and can also load the player into the demolisher to be launched. Catch oil slicks on fire with the anti-air missile.
- Chopper Driver – plants inflammable oil slicks and can quickly pick up any players on foot to protect them from danger.
Passengers can pick up explosives to throw at enemies, and once you engage the boss, can be thrown by demolishers on top of him.
In case of a wipe, the boss will take a few minutes to despawn, after which the vehicles respawn at full health.
- 504,000 HP
- 1 driver + 1 passenger
- Sonic Horn (20 energy) – Sends a wave of force in front of the motorcycle, causing 6300 to 7700 damage to all enemy targets within 35 yards in a frontal cone.
- Tar – Drops a pool of tar for 45 sec that slows the movement speed of enemies within 10 yards. Tar can be ignited. Lasts for 45 sec. (15 sec cooldown)
- Speed Boost (50 energy) – Fires the fuel injectors on the bike, increasing its speed by 100% for 5 sec.
- First Aid Kit – Heals your passenger fully over 4 sec. (1 min cooldown)
- 630,000 HP
- 50 Energy (Pyrite Ammo)
- 1 driver + 1 passenger
- Hurl Boulder – Hurls a massive boulder into the distance, dealing 27000 to 33000 damage to enemies within 8 yards of the explosion.
- Hurl Pyrite Barrel (5 pyrite) - Hurls an orb of blue pyrite into the distance, dealing damage, but consumes ammo. Also places a debuff that does damage per second for 10 seconds and can be stacked up to 10 times.
- Ram - Rams any enemies in front of the demolisher, dealing 19000 to 21000 Damage and knocking them back. Also deals 2160 to 2640 siege damage to buildings. (4 sec cooldown)
- Throw Passenger - Launch a passenger into the distance. (2 sec cooldown)
- Mortar – Fires a miniature explosive blast, dealing Fire damage to all enemies in the target area. (1 sec cooldown) An imprecise hit can do as little as 5,000 damage, while a direct hit will do upwards of 120,000 damage. Does approximately 2,300 damage to buildings.
- Anti-Air Rocket – Fires an explosive missile that explodes on contact with air targets. (0.25 sec cooldown)
- Grab Crate – Use your hook and chain to grab the targeted crate. Grab the targeted crate to pick up Liquid Pyrite off the ground, which reloads the demolisher by 25 Pyrite
- Increased Speed (25 pyrite) – Injects liquid pyrite into the engines, increasing movement speed by 100%. Lasts 20 sec.
- Load into Catapult – Load yourself into the catapult arm, using yourself as ammunition. (30 sec cooldown)
- 1,134,000 HP
- 1 driver + 1 turret controller + 2 passengers (unable to attack)
- Ram (40 steam pressure) – Rams any enemies in front of the demolisher, dealing 22501 to 27501 Damage and knocking them back. Also deals 2850 to 3150 siege damage to buildings.
- Electroshock (38 steam pressure) – Shocks all targets within a 25 yard cone in front of the caster. It also interrupts spellcasting and prevents any spell in that school from being cast for 4 sec. (10 sec cooldown)
- Steam Rush (40 steam pressure) – Put the steam engine into overdrive for a short duration, rushing forward, dealing siege damage and knocking back enemies. (15 sec cooldown)
Turret Controller's Abilities
- Anti-Air Rocket (10 steam pressure) – Fires an explosive missile that explodes on contact with air targets. (0.25 sec cooldown)
- Fire Cannon (20 steam pressure) – Fires a cannon blast. An imprecise hit can do as little as 5,000 damage, while a direct hit will do upwards of 120,000 damage. Does approximately 2,300 damage to buildings.
- Shield Generator – Activates the shield generator on the Siege Engine, absorbing a limited amount of Physical, Fire, Frost and Arcane damage taken for 5 sec. (1 min cooldown)
Steelforge Defender - 8,316 HP
Ulduar Colossus - 315,000 HP
- Shockwave-style casted ability that can be interrupted by siege engines.
- Storm Beacon – has a portal at the bottom that summons adds. Each beacon controls the respawn from a small radius around.
- Tower of Storms – Will enhance the Flame Leviathan during the encounter if left alive. See "Hard Mode" sub-section.
- Tower of Flames – Will enhance the Flame Leviathan during the encounter if left alive. See "Hard Mode" sub-section.
- Tower of Frost – Will enhance the Flame Leviathan during the encounter if left alive. See "Hard Mode" sub-section.
- Tower of Life – Will enhance the Flame Leviathan during the encounter if left alive. See "Hard Mode" sub-section.
Flame Leviathan Abilities
- Flame Vents – a 10-second channeled cast that does massive AoE of about 2,000 damage per second around the boss.
- Battering Ram – knocks back melee-ranged targets and applies a debuff that increases damage taken by 100%.
- Gathering Speed – slowly increases in movement speed for 5% per stack up to 20 stacks (100% speed increase).
- Missile Barrage – all machines and players not in one will take 700 damage every 1 to 2 seconds.
Flame Leviathan's Hard Mode is activated by speaking to the Lore Keeper of Norgannon in the staging area. Doing so activates all four orbital defense weapons, named for the Keepers of Ulduar. You can then turn off individual systems by destroying their corresponding tower. Talking to Brann and starting the event without speaking to the Lore Keeper will keep all defense systems inactive and disable the hard mode.
Each tower left alive from Hard Mode will increase Flame Leviathan's health by 50% (each is multiplicitive with each other), in addition to buffs and debuffs per individual tower:
- Tower of Storms (Thorim's Hammer) – Boosts Flame Leviathan's Physical Damage by 25%. Shortly after the fight starts, Flame Leviathan will activate Thorim's Hammer. Thorim's Hammer causes pillars of light to appear and shortly afterward do around 10% (150k'ish) damage to any targets under the beam along with a 1% damage aoe to all vehicles. Total of 20 Beams. Flame Leviathan will activate this only once.
- Tower of Flames (Mimiron's Inferno) – Boosts Flame Leviathan's Fire Damage by 50%. Shortly after the fight starts, Flame Leviathan will activate Mimiron's Inferno. Mimiron's Inferno causes fiery orbs to fall from the sky in a slowly set path. Orbs start where Flame Leviathan entered the room and continues in a clockwise direction in a diamond formation. Orb strikes deals 15,000 fire damage to all nearby enemies, leave behind a flaming blaze that deal damage over time when touched. Effect lasts for the entire fight.
- Tower of Frost (Hodir's Fury) – Reduces all Vehicle and Player Movement by 20%. Deals 150,000 frost damage to all nearby enemies, entombing them in ice where they take an additional 1% damage per second. Ice is broken by a fire attack.
- Tower of Life (Freya's Ward) – Decreases Fire Damage dealt to Flame Leviathan by 10%. Shortly after the fight starts, Flame Leviathan will activate Freya's Ward. Freya's Ward spawns a green beam of light in each corner of the room. Plant add's will emergy from these beams throughout the fight and assist Flame Leviathan in dealing damage to player vehicles.
HP Values of Flame Leviathan per # of Tower's Remaining (Heroic / Normal)
- 0 Towers = 70M / 23M
- 1 Tower = 105M / 35M
- 2 Towers = 158M / 52M
- 3 Towers = 236M / 78M
- 4 Towers = 354M / 116M
First and foremost, this is a complex fight and there are many ways to do it depending on your group's individual gear and skill level. Don't be afraid to experiment and find what works best/easiest/fastest for your group. The following strategy is based on a group with mostly Naxx 10 gear.
This fight can be very tricky on 10-man because there are a lot of jobs that have to be performed and not a lot of seats available to perform them all. Begin by simply filling up all vehicle seats with the exception of the chopper passengers, and make your way down the Iron Concourse. Before pulling the final trash, make sure to establish a kiting path and try to stick to it at all times, if possible. Once the last group of trash is cleared, have one of your demolisher passengers load themselves into the catapult to be shot onto the Flame Leviathan. It is highly preferable that the person being launched up be a caster (Mage or Warlock), as they are the only ones who can effectively DPS both turrets. This person should work to bring down both the turrets. Optionally, you can wait to fully stun the boss until he has around 10 stacks of Gathering Speed. The reason for this is to minimize the number of times you fire someone to the boss to reduce potential mistakes, and the boss is easily kitable while at 10 stacks or less.
While one person is working on the turrets, kiting the boss and staying ahead of him is the priority. Siege engines should make use of Steam Rush while turret passengers should fire rockets at the boss and throw up the shield if necessary. While not kiting, Siege Engines should focus on interrupting Flame Jets using Electroshock.
Demolishers should stay at max range, in case they get targeted for kiting, and DPS with Hurl Boulder. Because one Demolisher launched it's passenger up to the boss, only one Demolisher will have a passenger. The demolisher with a passenger can DPS with Hurl Pyrite Barrel, but only if the passenger is on point about refilling the ammo. If the Demolisher with a passenger gets targeted, its as simple as using Increase Speed to stay ahead of the boss. If the Demolisher without a passenger gets targeted, the driver must simply be as clever as possible to stay away from Flame Leviathan for 30 seconds. Optionally, that driver can switch to the passenger seat, use the Speed buff, and then switch back; however, this will use half of the vehicle's ammo, and with no passenger, its a challenge to recover.
During this time, Choppers need to be laying Tar in the boss' path. It is the Choppers' responsibility to lay the tar in the boss' path; it is not the kiter's responsibility to direct the boss through your tar. If you establish a kiting path and stick to it, this shouldn't be a problem. Between Tar cooldowns, you can DPS with Sonic Horn but watch out for Flame Jets as it will shred your Chopper in a matter of seconds.
Once both Turrets come down, the boss will be stunned, take 50% more damage, Gathering Speed will reset to zero, and the turret DPSer will be launched into the air. At this point all Siege Engines and Demolishers should go all out DPS. Demolishers should spam Hurl Pyrite Barrel. All choppers should be assigned to collect the turret DPSers and bring them back to their Demolisher as quickly as possible.
After the stun wears off, simply repeat the process over again. At this point, depending on how low the boss is on health, you can choose to shoot the turret DPS back up, or just finish him off without bothering. Remember that the turret DPSer needs to do about 120k damage in order to kill both turrets and a well coordinated group is likely to be able to bring the Leviathan down before the DPSer finishes.
If you have a good demolisher paring, they can do tremendous damage by stacking the Blue Pyrite debuff on Flame Leviathan. The passenger can continue to shoot down the flying pyrite and hook it in to refill their pyrite by 25 (5 shots). A rolling 10 stack of Blue Pyrite can do 100K-150K dps and only has to be refreshed every 10 seconds. Also when they have to launch their passenger, the driver himself can refresh the pyrite stack, change into the passenger seat, hook one of the grounded Pyrite Barrels and then get back in the drivers seat and continue thier stack until thier passenger is back. Rolling Blue Pyrite is key to beating Hard Mode 4 Towers.
Deviating from the PTR builds, Flame Leviathan on live servers was targeting Demolishers. This was thought to be a bug at first, but was confirmed to be working as intended.
The following achievements are for the encounter's hard mode.
- High Explorer Dellorah says: I heard a story or two of a Lore Keeper in Uldaman that fit your description. Do you serve a similar purpose?
- Lore Keeper of Norgannon says: I was constructed to serve as a repository for essential information regarding this complex. My primary functions include communicating the status of the frontal defense systems and assessing the status of the entity that this complex was built to imprison.
- High Explorer Dellorah says: Frontal defense systems? Is there something I should let Brann know before he has anyone attempt to enter the complex?
- Lore Keeper of Norgannon says: Access to the interior of the complex is currently restricted. Primary defensive emplacements are active. Secondary systems are currently non-active.
- High Explorer Dellorah says: Can you detail the nature of these defense systems?
- Lore Keeper of Norgannon says: Compromise of complex detected, security override enabled - query permitted.
- Lore Keeper of Norgannon says: Primary defensive emplacements consist of iron constructs and Storm Beacons, which will generate additional constructs as necessary. Secondary systems consist of orbital defense emplacements.
- High Explorer Dellorah says: Got it. At least we don't have to deal with those orbital emplacements.
- High Explorer Dellorah says: Rhydian, make sure you let Brann and Archmage Pentarus know about those defenses immediately.
- High Explorer Dellorah says: And you mentioned an imprisoned entity? What is the nature of this entity and what is its status?
- <Archmage Rhydian nods>
- Lore Keeper of Norgannon says: Entity designate: Yogg-Saron. Security has been compromised. Prison operational status unknown. Unable to contact Watchers for notification purposes.
- High Explorer Dellorah says: Yogg-Saron is here? It sounds like we really will have our hands full then.
Starting the fight -- talking to Brann:
- Brann Bronzebeard yells: Pentarus, you heard the man. Have your mages release the shield and let these brave souls through!
- Archmage Pentarus yells: Of course, Brann: We will have the shield down momentarily.
- Brann Bronzebeard says: Okay! Let's move out. Get into your machines; I'll speak to you from here via the radio.
- Archmage Pentarus yells: Mages of the Kirin Tor, on Brann's Command, release the shield! Defend this platform and our allies with your lives! For Dalaran!
- Brann Bronzebeard yells: Our allies are ready. Bring down the shield and make way!
- Hostile entities detected. Threat assessment protocol active. Primary target engaged. Time minus thirty seconds to re-evaluation.
Killing a player:
- Threat assessment routine modified. Current target threat level: zero. Acquiring new target.
Activating Hard Mode:
- Orbital countermeasures enabled.
Storm Tower active:
- 'Thorim's Hammer' online. Acquiring target.
Flame Tower active:
- 'Mimiron's Inferno' online. Acquiring target.
Frost Tower active:
- 'Hodir's Fury' online. Acquiring target.
Nature Tower active:
- 'Freya's Ward' online. Acquiring target.
No Towers active:
- Alert! Static defense system failure. Orbital countermeasures disabled.
- Threat re-evaluated. Target assessment complete. Changing course.
- Pursuit objective modified. Changing course.
- Hostile entity stratagem predicted. Rerouting battle function. Changing course.
Player on top of Flame Leviathan:
- Unauthorized entity attempting circuit overload. Activating anti-personnel countermeasures.
Overload Circuit activated:
- System malfunction. Diverting power to support systems.
- Combat matrix overload. Powering do-o-o-own...
- System restart required. Deactivating weapon systems.
- Total systems failure. Defense protocols breached. Leviathan Unit shutting down.
- Archmage Rhydian yells: Our friends fought well, Brann, but we're not done yet.
- Brann Bronzebeard yells: Perhaps so, but it's only a matter of time until we break back into Ulduar. Any luck finding a way to teleport inside?
- Archamge Rhydian yells: None at all. I suspect it has something to do with that giant mechanical construct that our scouts spotted in front of the gate.
- Brann Bronzebeard yells: What about the plated proto-drake and the fire giant that were spotted nearby? Think your mages can handle those?
- Archmage Rhydian yells: The Kirin Tor can't possibly spare any additional resources to take on anything that size. We may not have to though.
- Archmage Rhydian yells: We can sneak past them. As long as we can take down that construct in front of the gate, we should be able to get inside.
- Brann Bronzebeard yells: Sneak?! What do you think we are, marmots?
- Archmage Rhydian yells: We're hunting an old god, Brann.
- Brann Bronzebeard yells: Fine. If our allies are going to be the ones getting their hands dirty, we'll leave it to them to decide how to proceed.
- Hotfix (2009-04-15): "Each difficulty level of Flame Leviathon's hard modes have had the boss’s health increased. "
- ^ Daelo 2009-02-17. Re: Concerning Ulduar and the future of raiding. Retrieved on 2009-05-30.
- ^ Under Development: Ulduar. Retrieved on 2009-05-24. “For example, spread throughout Ulduar's vehicle section are four Defense Towers you can destroy. The more Towers you leave intact, the harder the encounter with the Flame Leviathan will be, but the loot will also be better.”
- ^ Daelo 2009-04-14. Current Ulduar Issues. Retrieved on 2009-05-24. “Flame Leviathan can indeed randomly target Demolishers now, this was added during PTR and is intended.”
- ^ | 2009-04-17 00:45 by Bornakk