- Core abilities
- Doesn't work against spells.
- Cooldown time is moderately long.
Warriors have abilities which feed off of their opponents dodging, so be careful of using evasion against them. Consider using evasion early on in fights with warriors, as the damage taken from Overpower will be negligible in comparison to the full amount of melee damage a warrior can deal. Note that depending on your dodge rate and your opponent's attack speed you may happen to dodge whenever overpower cooldown is up anyway, allowing them to use it often, with or without evasion.
Won't let you dodge attacks made from behind, and does not work at all when you're stunned. Choose the right moment to use it, as most melee classes can counter it with non-melee-based attacks: paladins can stun you with Hammer of Justice, druids can root you with Entangling Roots, rogues can use Blind, etc. At high levels you can benefit from either .
In any melee situation, it will significantly lessen the damage you're taking. If your total dodge + parry is bigger than 50%, it may even make you untouchable - enemies won't be able to hit you at all. This can often buy enough time to finish off a mob, or to survive an add, or wait for the tank to peel a mob off you.
Using evasion during certain raid encounters (such as Instructor Razuvious) can be key to your raid's success.
If your tank dies when the boss is almost dead, Evasion may be a lifesaver. Pop Evasion as soon as you see that the boss targeted you. You can now tank the boss for 10 seconds, which might just give enough time to kill the boss. just before Evasion ends. If there is more than one rogue in the group/raid, you may chain Evasion-tank the boss, giving even more time to DPS.
- Patch 5.4.0 (10-Sep-2013): Evasion now increases dodge chance by 100% (was 50%), cooldown has been reduced to 2 minutes (down from 3 minutes), and duration has been reduced to 10 seconds (down from 15 seconds).
- / Patch 4.0.1 (12-Oct-2010): Evasion now has a chance of hit reduction by 25 % at level 8. With that the ranks have been lost. It costs 5 24.
- / Patch 3.0.2 (14-Oct-2008): The cooldown has been reduced from 5 minutes to 3.
- Patch 2.0.3 (09-Jan-2007): "Evasion" (Rank 2) now reduces the chance that ranged attacks will hit the Rogue by 25%, reduced from 50%. It is now available at level 50.