- This article is about the strategy for defeating Deathbringer Saurfang in Icecrown Citadel. For his character biography, see Dranosh Saurfang.
After falling to Frostmourne at the Battle of Angrathar the Wrathgate, Dranosh Saurfang was raised in undeath by the Lich King and brought to Icecrown Citadel. Imbued with the power of the Scourge, the Deathbringer bars the way of any attackers trying to enter the upper spire.
- ω ϖ—Saurfang gains Blood Power from damage he inflicts with abilities and summoned creatures. Also increases his Energy by 1 each time Blood Link triggers.
- ω ϖ—Blood explodes outward from a random enemy target, inflicting 10,000 Physical damage to nearby enemies.
- ω ϖ—Boils the blood of an enemy, inflicting 9,500 Physical damage every 3 seconds for 24 seconds.
- ω ϖ—Saurfang calls forth 5 blood beasts every 40 seconds.
- ω ϖ—Saurfang goes into a frenzy, increasing his attack speed by 30%.
- ω ϖ—Causes Deathbringer Saurfang's melee attacks to splash to this target, inflicting 5,700 to 6,300 additional Physical damage. If the target dies while under this effect Saurfang is healed for 5% of his total health.
- ω ϖ—Saurfang leeches health when he performs melee attacks on targets marked with Rune of Blood. Leeches 5,100 to 6,900 health from an enemy target and heals Saurfang for 10 times that amount. Lasts for 20 seconds.
- ω ϖ—Saurfang's Blood Beasts catch the scent of blood, reducing all nearby enemies movement speed by 80% and increasing their damage by 300% for 10 seconds.
- ω ϖ—The thick skin of this creature reduces damage from area effect attacks by 95%, and from diseases by 70%.
They key to this fight is limiting how much Blood power Saurfang generates.
Tank Saurfang where he spawns. His melee damage is not high compared to Trial of the Crusader bosses, though it will become harder as he gains blood power. Even with 100 blood power his damage is not high enough to cause serious problems for a Tier 9 geared tank. After his blood power reaches 100 he will cast Mark of the Fallen Champion on a random raid member and it will drop to zero, so he will never have more than a 100% damage buff.
Tanks taunt off whenever he casts Rune of Blood to prevent it from healing him.
Saurfang will cast Boiling Blood on random raid members. This can simply be healed through, though every tick grants blood power. While you can not dispel or normally remove this debuff, immunity abilities like Ice Block and Divine Shield will stop it ticking while active, as will a Priest's Power Word: Shield. This can greatly reduce the amount of Blood Power Saurfang receives.
Saurfang will cast Blood Nova on random targets. This will cause them to take damage and damage everyone around them. The damage itself is not serious, but every additional target it hits will generate extra blood power, so ranged should spread out with 12 yards between them to avoid splash damage.
Every 35 seconds blood beasts will spawn, and this is a key aspect of the fight. Before they do melee and tanks should stop aoe-ing, which will cause the blood beasts to go after ranged targets instead. Keep frost traps down and have all ranged switch and burn down the blood beasts right away. If you have aggro, run away, because blood beasts melee-ing you will generate blood power for Saurfang. Do not attempt to tank the blood beasts, instead slow and kite them. Blood Beasts are immune to most CC effects like polymorph and fear, but they are vulnerable to snares, roots and stuns. Blood beasts are resistant to AOE so should be killed with single target spells.
Inevitably Saurfang will gain 100 blood power and cast Mark of the Fallen Champion on a raid member. This does very heavy damage and the victim will likely need a dedicated healer to keep them alive to avoid healing Saurfang for 5% of his HP. Mark of the Fallen Champion damage can be prevented temporarily by Divine Shield, Ice Block and Hand of Protection, but it is not removed by these abilities. In addition Mark of the Fallen Champion persists through death, so do not resurrect a player that dies from it. Mark of the Fallen Champion damage is based on Saurfang's melee swings, so it will increase as he gains blood power and when he frenzies at low HP.
If Saurfang casts Mark of the Fallen Champion on a rogue, the mark can be easily avoided, essentially resetting his blood power to 0 with no consequence. When Saurfang casts his Mark on the rogue, if the rogue can properly time his vanish, he will vanish the Mark of the Champion.
Saurfang generates blood power when his melee hits connect, and if there are active Marks of the Fallen Champion, he will generate one additional blood power per Mark each swing. This leads to an accelerating loop, where each active Mark reduces the time taken for Saurfang to generate enough blood power to cast another, eventually overhwelming the raid and causing a wipe.
The blood power gained from the very first mark cast follows a basic exponential function, attributing all subsequent power gained to this mark alone simplifies the model. The total number of blood power he gains is the integral of the function. Let people die and you shift the function to the right, but extend the range of the integral by 5%. Since it is an exponential function the integral is also exponential, so area gained by extending the range is small compared to the area shoved off the right edge by shifting the curve right.
Therefore, it may be easier to simply allow those with Mark of the Fallen Champion to die; The healing Saurfang receives is much easier to overcome than increasingly frequent Marks of the Fallen Champion. There are diminishing returns however, as living dps are required to take down the blood beasts.
Saurfang will Frenzy at 30% HP, and Bloodlust/Heroism should be used at this time to burn him down quickly and to help healing players with Mark.
You can use Amplify Magic during this fight as all of the damage is Physical.
Deathbringer Saurfang will enrage after 8 minutes, increasing his damage by 500% and his speed by 150%.
- Intro as Alliance
- Deathbringer Saurfang yells: For every Horde soldier that you killed, for every Alliance dog that fell, the Lich King's armies grew. Even now the Val'kyr work to raise your fallen... As Scourge.
- Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Things are about to get much worse. Come, taste the power that the Lich King has bestowed upon me!
- Muradin Bronzebeard yells: A lone orc, against the might of the Alliance? Charge!
- Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Hahahaha! Dwarves.
- Intro as Horde
- High Overlord Saurfang yells: Kor'kron, move out! Champions, watch your backs! The Scourge have been...
- Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Join me, father. Join me and we will crush this world in the name of the Scourge. For the glory of the Lich King!
- High Overlord Saurfang says: My boy died at the Wrathgate. I am here only to collect his body!
- Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Stubborn and old. What chance do you have? I am stronger and more powerful than you ever were!
- High Overlord Saurfang says: We named him Dranosh. It means "Heart of Draenor" in Orcish. I would not let the warlocks take him. My boy would be safe, hidden away by the elders of Garadar.
- High Overlord Saurfang says: I made a promise to his mother before she died: that I would cross the Dark Portal alone - whether I lived or died, my son would be safe. Untainted...
- High Overlord Saurfang says: Today, I fulfill that promise.
- High Overlord Saurfang charges!
- Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Pathetic old orc. Come then heroes, come and face the might of the Scourge!
- BY THE MIGHT OF THE LICH KING!
- Casting Mark of the Fallen Champion
- The ground runs red with your blood!
- Summoning Blood Beasts
- Feast, my minions!
- Killing a player
- You are nothing!
- Your soul will find no redemption here!
- I have become... death!
- I... Am... Released.
- Outro as Alliance
- High Overlord Saurfang says: Behind you lies the body of my only son. Nothing will keep me from him.
- Muradin Bronzebeard says: Don't force my hand, orc. We can't let you pass.
- Muradin Bronzebeard says: He... I can't do it. Get back on your ship and we'll spare your life.
- King Varian Wrynn says: Stand down, Muradin. Let a grieving father pass.
- High Overloed Saurfang kneels over his son's body.
- High Overlord Saurfang says: [Orcish] No'ku kil zil'nok ha tar.
- High Overlord Saurfang says: I will not forget this kindess. I thank you, highness.
- King Varian Wrynn says: I... I was not at the Wrathgate. But the soldiers who survived told me much of what happened. Your son fought with honor. He died a hero's death. He deserves a hero's burial.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore cries.
- King Varian Wrynn says: Jaina, why are you crying?
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: It was nothing, your majesty. Just... I'm proud of my king.
- King Varian Wrynn says: Muradin, secure the deck and prepare our soldiers for an assault on the Upper Citadel. I'll send out another regiment from Stormwind.
- Muradin Bronzebeard says: Let's get the move then. Move out!
- Outro as Horde
- High Overlord Saurfang weeps over the corpse of his son.
- High Overlord Saurfang says: You will have a proper ceremony in Nagrand next to the pyres of your mother and ancestors.
- High Overlord Saurfang says: Honor young heroes, no matter how dire the battle. Never forsake it!
10-player Normal encounter
25-player Normal encounter
- The Horde Intro is derived from many famous Star Wars duels dialogues, except that the roles of the evil father and the good son are reversed.
- His berserk quote is reminiscent of the infamous "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds". This passage from the Bhagavad Gita (Hindu scriptures), was most famously quoted by Robert Oppenheimer, designer of the nuclear bomb, when the bomb was detonated in its first successful test.
- Hotfix (2009-12-16): "Deathbringer Saurfang's Rune of Blood has been modified to heal 10 times the amount of damage dealt instead of 5 times the damage. This will make the encounter more difficult if you try to tank Saurfang with just one character. The tooltip does not reflect this change, but it will in a future patch."
- Patch 3.3.0 (08-Dec-2009): Added.