|Breath||Lightning, frost, fire (nature, frost, and fire magic)|
|Racial leader(s)||Deathwing, Nefarian|
|Racial capital||Blackrock Spire|
|Average height||Varies according to specific species and age|
Age groups Edit
- Chromatic whelps
- Chromatic drake
- Chromatic dragon
- Chromatic Dragonman
- Chromatic prototype and Aberration
Chromatic dragons have properties and the breath weapons of each of the five flights. Raised in captivity, they know only servitude; although highly intelligent, none of these whelps have the power or cunning to break Nefarian’s grasp on their minds.
Chromatic drakes are a rare breed — only a few exist because Nefarian’s research has not yet been going on long enough for it to have produced any chromatic adults naturally. The only chromatic drakes that do exist presumably have been aged by some unnatural means.
The breeding program began with Deathwing in ages past to replenish his own destroyed dragonflight. While Deathwing aimed to create chromatic dragons years ago (this desire constituted much of his motivation for attacking Grim Batol), he was never able to capture enough eggs to succeed.
His son, Nefarian, has recently succeeded to an extent, creating dozens of these chromatic dragon whelps — young dragons with the properties of all five dragonflights. To crush Ragnaros, Nefarian had begun the efforts to bolster his forces against the Firelord and his army of golems, elementals, and dark iron dwarves for control over the Blackrock Mountain.  Nefarian currently breeds with the assistance of Rend Blackhand and the rest of the Dark Horde, who hope to use the dragons to overthrow Warchief Thrall and make the Horde back into the conquering, bloodthirsty force it once was.
Future involvement Edit
Despite Nefarian's defeat in Blackwing Lair, it appeared that Deathwing still had plans for the chromatic flight.
- Lady Sinestra says: Overlord Mor'ghor, I presume... A pleasure to finally make your acquaintance. I am Lady Sinestra.
- Overlord Mor'ghor says: I will not drag this out any further than it needs, Lady Sinestra. You have bent my ear, now tell me what it is that you want from the Dragonmaw.
- Lady Sinestra says: You have no doubt heard about Nefarian's failures on Azeroth... While he has fallen, the experiment continues. My master... He continues the work that his progeny began.
- Overlord Mor'ghor says: The... The master? He lives?
- Lady Sinestra nods.
- Lady Sinestra says: You were once a chief lieutenant, Mor'ghor. Your work in Grim Batol is not easily forgotten. Now... We need the eggs that you recovered. The Netherwing eggs. They are, after all, a product of the master. We will pay whatever price that you ask.
- Overlord Mor'ghor stammers.
- Overlord Mor'ghor says: Ye... Yes, yes... Of course. We need only the crystals and ore from this place. There is... We will need mounts.
- Lady Sinestra says: The master will be most pleased with this news. The Black Dragonflight will provide you all that you ask. You will be allowed to ride upon the backs of our drakes as needed. I thank you for your graciousness, Mor'ghor. I must now take my leave.
This proved to be partially true, as Sinestra was Deathwing's former prime consort. She had gathered dragon eggs for centuries and, with the aid of two artifacts, an ally, and a prisoner, she created the twilight dragons. The twilight dragons are similar to the chromatic dragons in that they exhibit the powers fed into their respective eggs before they hatch. Despite Sinestra's claim that the experiment had been her idea, it was revealed that Deathwing had planted the idea in her mind, just as the Old Gods had convinced Deathwing to forge the Demon Soul.
In Cataclysm EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
In Cataclysm, we can't see many members of chromatic dragonflight, just some Drakeadon in Blackwing Descent. However, Maloriak, a powerful chromatic Dragonman servant of Nefarian, is trying to again create the most powerful of dragons, we can see this through the chromatic prototype and the Aberration.
In "Thrall: Twilight Of The Aspects" EditThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
The chromatic dragonflight play a key part in Deathwing and the Twilight's Hammer clan plot to destroy the Dragon Aspects as the chromatic eggs are used to replace all of the eggs at Wyrmrest Temple forcing Korialstrasz to kill himself and wipe out all of the Chamber of Aspects. As well, a massive Chromatic drake with five heads-- one representing each of the Dragonflight-- named Chromatus is re-animated using the energies of the Eye of Eternity and the blood of Malygos son, Arygos under the direction of the mysterious Twilight's Hammer clan leader, the Human known as the Twilight Father. The dragon is eventually defeated by the combined might of all the Dragon Aspects with the assistance of Thrall, but the body of Chromatus is indestructible by any known means and is locked in an arcane prison by Kalecgos and the Blue dragonflight.
Known members Edit
|Gyth||First chromatic drake and oldest known member of the Chromatic dragonflight. Mount of Warchief Rend Blackhand. Located in Upper Blackrock Spire.||Drake||Killable|
|Chromaggus||Two headed draconic beast created by Nefarian. Infused with powers from all five flights. Found in Blackwing Lair's inner sanctum.||Drakeadon||Killable|
|Maloriak||The main alchemist of Nefarian and and creator of various creatures. Located in Blackwing Descent.||Dragonman||Killable|
Further information Edit
Posted by Caydiem on the official forums:
- The breeding program began with Neltharion (Deathwing) many years in the past. While it's not yet proven what methods Nefarian uses for his Chromatic flight, it's worth noting that some of his creations hold weaknesses that their predecessors did not have, thus lending credence to the idea that he is using a different (seemingly inferior and/or untested) method from that of Deathwing.
Speculation from most lore enthusiasts suggest that the chromatic dragons are created with an egg of Neltharion or any dragonflight, much like the twilight dragons, and infused with a strong sense of magic, or in this case in Blackwing Lair before Chromaggus, the blood and/or energy of each dragonflight.
Upon defeating Ultraxion in the Dragon Soul raid, there is an extremely rare chance (less than 1%) that his Cache of the aspects will contain Experiment 12-B. This drake mount is identical in appearance to Gyth, and some speculate that perhaps Gyth himself was "Experiment 12-A".