|Casting time||Instant cast|
|Talent tree||Marksmanship, Tier 11|
|Hawk Eye, Mortal Shots, Efficiency|
Chimera Shot is an instant shot that deals 125% of ranged weapon damage, refreshes the current sting on the target and triggers an additional effect based on the sting.
- Since the cooldown of Chimera Shot is shorter than the duration of Serpent Sting, a hunter should never be reapplying the sting during longer fights. A hunter merely has to throw in a Chimera Shot during their Steady Shot rotation.
- While not as mana efficient, Chimera Shot can be used instead of Arcane Shot while kiting, as it reapplies the Sting effect. Not only will the hunter be doing more damage, but they will never have to worry about making sure Serpent Sting is still up.
- Chimera Shot can be used to effectively double the length of Viper Sting. Use Chimera Shot as Viper Sting wears out to reapply the effect, causing it to drain mana longer before it's cooldown refreshes.
- With Chimera Shot, a Marksmanship hunter now has three instant cast shots, four if you include Kill Shot which only works when the enemy is below 20% health, and five if you include Scatter Shot which is obtainable from the Survival tree but not necessarily used for or efficient at dealing damage. With all these instant shots, a hunter can potentially deal a decent amount of damage without ever standing still. While not horribly mana efficient nor the best means of DPS, this gives Marksman hunters a slight edge in PvP where they generally do not have the opportunity to stand still for long periods of time.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): The secondary effects of this shot will now still be triggered even when the target dies from the ability's damage.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.