Tabard refers to a type of clothing bearing a symbol or design and worn in the tabard equipment slot over a character's chest armor. It is a purely cosmetic item intended to add individuality to a character's look, similar to a shirt.
The only tabard available to players upon the release of World of Warcraft was the guild tabard. The release of battlegrounds and the honor system saw a variety of new tabards introduced, identifying a player's rank or standing with a particular battleground faction. The Scourge Invasion also added a small number of tabards. In World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, each faction in Outland was given its own tabard, available at exalted status. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King continues this trend, but has lower (or no) reputation requirements and instead utilizes faction tabards in a system known as championing for farming reputation.
Patch 3.0 introduced the achievement system, which includes rewards for tabard collectors. Upon obtaining a tabard, a general achievement called "Represent" is granted; subsequent achievement points are granted at ten and twenty-five tabards, with the latter granting the Tabard of the Achiever. There is no current plan to alleviate the amount of bag space taken up by tabards as has been done with mount and non-combat pet collections (which grant similar achievements), but Blizzard has said it is a possibility in the future. Some tabards can be discarded and repurchased or reacquired at a tabard vendor. These generally include rewards from non-repeatable quests and achievements (such as the ).
Guild tabards Edit
See below for web-based tabard design tools.
Honor rank tabards Edit
- is blue with a gold lion design on the front of it, essentially what Stormwind guards wear.
- is red (more accurately a very deep orange) with the Horde's emblem and white trim.
Under the new 'Mark of Honor' system of PvP rewards, and now are purchasable from Master Sergeant Biggins in the Champion's Hall (located in Stormwind City) / Brave Stonehide in the Hall of Legends (located in Orgrimmar) for 3 3 .
Battleground tabards Edit
Battleground tabards can be obtained at various reputation with each faction through vendor purchase or quest completion. These tabards have a unique appearance.
- has a red backdrop with golden trim, with the emblem of a spear with a golden bolt at the bottom.
- has a blue backdrop with white trim, bearing a wolf's head at the center, with a crude shield covering it, both made out of blue and white, and with ice-colored and shaped symbols signifying the cold of Alterac Valley.
Other tabards Edit
- , , , , , , , and are rewards from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
- drops from Scarlet Trainees in the Scarlet Monastery Armory after Herod is killed.
- and are rewards from [70D] during the Midsummer Fire Festival.
Past event tabards Edit
These tabards were available for a limited time, and cannot be obtained currently. Some of these tabards may be reacquired from tabard vendors if the player had previously owned them.
- was a reward from the Spirit of Competition event.
- was a reward from the Test of Honor Contest.
- was purchasable for 10 from the Argent Outfitter during the Scourge Invasion.
- was a reward from  during the Before the Storm event.
Burning Crusade tabards EditThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
- is a reward from the Blood Elf Paladin's epic mount quest chain.
- is a reward from the Draenei starting zones' quest chain.
- and are rewards for completing the [70G] in Shadowmoon Valley.
Wrath of the Lich King tabards EditThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
- is an Achievement reward for the achievement The Loremaster.
- is an Achievement reward for winning 300 ranked arena matches.
- is an Achievement reward for the achievement Twenty-Five Tabards.
- is purchasable from the Argent Crusade with Friendly reputation.
- is purchasable from the Knights of the Ebon Blade with Friendly reputation.
- is a Achievement reward for the achievement Explore Northrend.
- is purchasable from the Kirin Tor with Friendly reputation.
- is purchasable from the Wyrmrest Accord with Friendly reputation.
The Argent Tournament Tabards are available from each faction once you become their Champion. They each cost 50 Champion's Seals.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Darnassus.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of the Exodar.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Gnomeregan.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Ironforge.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Stormwind.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Orgrimmar.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Sen'jin.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Silvermoon City.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Thunder Bluff.
- is purchasable at the Argent Tournament for champions of Undercity.
Unobtainable tabards Edit
These tabards are worn by NPCs but cannot be obtained by players, though some can be approximated with certain guild tabard designs.
- ↑ Although the actual tabard is not obtainable, you can appear to wear one by wearing ; a cloth chest armor that drops randomly from Dalaran NPCs in Silverpine Forest. Only Horde can obtain the robe, as these NPCs are Friendly to Alliance. However, they can be sold at neutral Auction Houses. In addition, the is available for sale.
- ↑ 2,0 2,1 This particular Scarlet Crusade tabard is unobtainable. It is worn by many of the higher ranking members of the organization. The , which is worn by the lowest-ranking members of the Crusade, is obtainable. See the Other Tabards section above.
- ↑ There is a tabard similar to this that can be obtained through the Argent Tournament.
- ↑ Can be obtained in patch 3.2.0.