Companions (a.k.a. small pets, non-combat pets, mini-pets, or vanity pets) are small creatures (or mechanical replicas thereof) that follow your player character around. They are mainly for show. Several of these companions have their own characteristic behaviors (see individual descriptions).
Companions cannot attack or be attacked in the normal sense, however, will kill critters, will battle each other, and "will fight other fighting robot companions", a PvP game within the game. Companions have a small hidden amount of health and can be killed by the pet swimming in lava, standing on fires, or other environmental means of damage.
You can own as many companions as you like. Each one you acquire is added to the pets section of your character sheet.
The Blood Parrot, spawned from the , and the Coyote Spirit, spawned from , are exceptions and are summoned from the corresponding item. These are both items of apparel of some value in their own right, and having the item of apparel disappear when the pet is spawned would not be a welcome change. Because these two pets spawn differently than the other companions, they are not currently counted toward the pet achievements.
You can only have one companion out at a time, and summoning another one replaces the one that's already out.
Once summoned, companions will attempt to accompany your player character as you move about the game world. Some appear to be better at this than others. Jumping down from an elevated location will often send a companion off on a circuitous route to reach your new location. If your companion gets left behind, it may catch up and reappear, but may have to be re-summoned. There is no penalty for re-summoning. (The Tiny Snowman is stationary, and will not follow you.)
If you are teleported or use any form of transportation that reloads the environment your companion disappears and has to be re-summoned. The only ship or zeppelin that doesn't is the ship between Teldrassil and Darkshore. If you log out your companion disappears and has to be re-summoned during your next session.
While some companions can only be purchased by certain factions, most vended companions and many dropped companions can be traded at Auction Houses. Companions obtained through quests are bind on pickup and cannot be sold. Pets you learn how to summon cannot be learned again, so you are prevented from owning duplicate pets.
- 1 Game considerations
- 2 Temporary companions
- 3 Horde exclusive companions
- 4 Alliance exclusive companions
- 5 Neutral companions
- 6 Holiday companions
- 7 Obscure companions
- 7.1 Collector's Edition
- 7.2 Burning Crusade: Collector's Edition
- 7.3 Wrath of the Lich King: Collector's Edition
- 7.4 BlizzCon
- 7.5 Arena Tournament
- 7.6 World of Warcraft Trading Card Game
- 7.7 Blizzard Worldwide Invitational
- 7.8 The Spirit of Competition
- 7.9 World of Warcraft's Fourth Anniversary
- 7.10 Mountain Dew Promotion
- 8 Consolidated table
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Bugs
- 11 API
- 12 Patch changes
- 13 External links
Though intended to be a cosmetic accessory, companions have some impact on the game.
Companions do not stealth. If your character uses stealth, your companion will reveal your presence.
- In PvP, companions will reveal your location to opponents.
- A can reveal your location to your party, and will be invisible to your opponent (unless they are inebriated).
- During and shortly after the Love is in the Air seasonal event, can be shot at your opponents to mark them with a Peddlefeet companion.
- In PvE, mobs do not notice companions, so having one can be useful to indicate your location to party members.
Flying pets of any sort can sometimes interfere with clicking to target. This affects the pet owner, PvP opponents, and even party members desiring to buff or heal the pet owner. This is not normally a significant problem, but in the midst of frantic PvP combat, the interference can be noticeable.
The will vend several items to its owner. One of these, , is designed for being used in combat (but see , the impact is minor). The other items are a set of costume items with no stats that allow you to dress up as an ethereal, a ball that can be played with in-game (there are others, such as ), , which will transform a non-combat pet into a fleshbeast, and , a conjured alcoholic beverage.
As noted above, the Blood Parrot (see ) and the Coyote Spirit (see ) are spawned from items rather than learned, and are not currently counted toward the pet achievements. Similarly, the created by engineers remains an item due to its cooldown characteristics.
There are companions that can be acquired for a time that aren't normally regarded as companions, but pretty much do the same thing as permanent companions. Many of these are in the context of a quest. Some examples are the orphans for Children's Week, Peddlefeet from the , Nass from  . None of these count toward the pet count achievements. When a temporary companion is spawned your current companion is despawned.
Horde exclusive companions
These companions are only available to the Horde, although they can be sold to Alliance players through the use of Neutral Auction Houses.
- Crimson Snake – , Orgrimmar, 50
- Brown Snake – Xan'tish, Orgrimmar, 50
- Black Kingsnake – Xan'tish, Orgrimmar, 50
- Prairie Dog Whistle – , Thunderbluff, 50
- Cockroach – , Undercity, 50
- Golden Dragonhawk Hatchling – , Fairbreeze Village, 50
- Red Dragonhawk Hatchling – Jilanne, Fairbreeze Village, 50
- Silver Dragonhawk Hatchling – Jilanne, Fairbreeze Village, 50
- Cat Carrier (Black Tabby) (formerly Maine Coon) - Drops only from Alliance-friendly NPCs.
Alliance exclusive companions
- Cat Carrier (Bombay) – , Elwynn Forest, 40
- Cat Carrier (Cornish Rex) – Donni Anthania, Elwynn Forest, 40
- Cat Carrier (Orange Tabby) – Donni Anthania, Elwynn Forest, 40
- Cat Carrier (Silver Tabby) – Donni Anthania, Elwynn Forest, 40
- Cat Carrier (White Kitten) – , Stormwind, 60 , limited quantity (1)
- Rabbit Crate (Snowshoe) – , Dun Morogh, 20
- Great Horned Owl – , Darnassus, 50
- Hawk Owl – Shylenai, Darnassus, 50
- Blue Moth Egg – , The Exodar, 50
- White Moth Egg – Sixx, The Exodar, 50
- Yellow Moth Egg – Sixx, The Exodar, 50
- Chicken Egg – Quest Reward from  (Bind on Pickup) (With creativity, and especially with Alliance cooperation, the Horde can loot this quest)
- Sprite Darter Egg – Quest Reward from  (Bind on Pickup)
- In Patch 3.1.1 This pet became a drop from Feralas Sprite Darters for Horde. (The Sprite Darters are friendly for Alliance)
- Parrot Cage (Cockatiel) – , Booty Bay, 40
- Parrot Cage (Senegal) – Narkk, Booty Bay, 40
- Parrot Cage (Green Wing Macaw) – Drop from Defias Pirates in The Deadmines
- Parrot Cage (Hyacinth Macaw) – Drop from Bloodsail pirates in Stranglethorn Vale
- Bloodsail Admiral's Hat – Quest Reward from  in Stranglethorn Vale
- Miniwing – Quest Reward from  in Terokkar Forest
- Chuck's Bucket – BoP Quest Reward from  in Terokkar Forest (Fishing Daily)
- Muckbreath's Bucket – BoP Quest Reward from  in Terokkar Forest (Fishing Daily)
- Snarly's Bucket – BoP Quest Reward from  in Terokkar Forest (Fishing Daily)
- Toothy's Bucket – BoP Quest Reward from  in Terokkar Forest (Fishing Daily)
- Tree Frog Box – , Darkmoon Faire, 1
- Wood Frog Box – Flik, Darkmoon Faire, 1 , limited quantity (1)
- A Jubling's Tiny Home – BoP Quest Reward from  (Darkmoon Faire Only)
- Mojo – BoP Random drop when Amani Hex Stick used on frogs at Zul'Aman
- Tiny Crimson Whelpling – Drop
- Tiny Emerald Whelpling – Drop
- Dark Whelpling – Drop
- Azure Whelpling – Drop
- Mechanical Squirrel Box – Engineering Created (trained at trainer)
- Mechanical Chicken – Quest Reward from 
- (Note: Not to be confused with which is very much a battle companion)
- Lifelike Mechanical Toad – Engineering Created, schematic is a world drop from high level mobs, possibly dragons
- Lil' Smokey – Engineering Created (BoP), schematic is a Membership renewal benefit
- Pet Bombling – Engineering Created (BoP), schematic is a Membership renewal benefit
- Tranquil Mechanical Yeti – Engineer Created; schematic is a Quest Reward from 
- Crashin' Thrashin' Robot – Engineer Created; schematic is a world drop from high level mobs and instances
- (Note: Will fight other fighting robot companions)
- Ancona Chicken – , Thousand Needles, 1
- Disgusting Oozeling – Drop
- Cat Carrier (Siamese) – Drop from in the Deadmines
- Smolderweb Carrier – Quest Reward from [59D]
- Worg Carrier – Quest Reward from [59D]
- Blue Dragonhawk Hatchling – , Stormspire, Netherstorm, 10
- Brown Rabbit Crate – , Stormspire, Netherstorm, 10
- Captured Firefly – Drop
- Cockroach – Dealer Rashaad, Stormspire, Netherstorm, 50
- Crimson Snake – Dealer Rashaad, Stormspire, Netherstorm, 50
- Magical Crawdad Box — Random reward from a very rare Fishing drop named
- Mana Wyrmling – Dealer Rashaad, Stormspire, Netherstorm, 40
- Red Moth Egg – Dealer Rashaad, Stormspire, Netherstorm, 10
- Nether Ray Fry – , Terokkar Forest (Exalted with Sha'tari Skyguard and 40 )
- Phoenix Hatchling – Drop from in Magisters' Terrace
- Tiny Spore Bat – , Zangarmarsh (Exalted with Sporeggar and 30 Glowcaps)
- Vampiric Batling – Drop from Prince Tenris Mirkblood in Karazhan (everyone in Raid can loot)
- pre- Reeking Pet Carrier, a skunk, is mailed to you when you complete .
- Nurtured Penguin Egg – in Dragonblight or in Howling Fjord (Exalted with Kalu'ak and 12 )
- Tickbird Hatchling – Random chance from Mysterious Egg
- White Tickbird Hatchling – Random chance from Mysterious Egg
- Proto-Drake Whelp – Random chance from Mysterious Egg
- Cobra Hatchling – Random chance from Mysterious Egg
- Giant Sewer Rat – Rare fishing drop from Dalaran Sewers.
- Ghostly Skull – in Dalaran 40 (BoP)
- Kirin Tor Familiar – Obtained from after you complete .
- Little Fawn's Salt Lick – This is mailed to you when you complete .
These companions are only available when certain seasonal events are underway.
Feast of Winter Veil
These companions are available as gifts during the Feast of Winter Veil event, and can be kept and traded all year round.
- Green Helper Box – Present Reward
- Red Helper Box – Present Reward
- Jingling Bell – Present Reward
- Snowman Kit – Present Reward
- Clockwork Rocket Bot – Present Reward (BoP)
- (Note: Will fight other Clockwork Rocket Bots)
- Crashin' Thrashin' Robot – Present Reward (BoP)
- (Note: Will fight other Crashin' Thrashin' Robots)
Love is in the Air
This companion is available as a received item during the Love is in the Air event.
- Truesilver Shafted Arrow – BoP Event Reward - permanent training to summon, but cannot be traded to other characters.
- – BoP Event Reward - creates a Peddlefeet companion for another player, once per consumable arrow.
- The companion is the same, by either method.
- Receiving Peddlefeet by the second method does not count toward the pet achievements, since the skill to summon Peddlefeet is not learned.
- Giving ten Peddlefeet companions to other players by shooting them with the Silver Shafted Arrows has its own event achievement, Shafted!.
- This second method of obtaining Peddlefeet is limited to around two weeks after the Love is in the Air event, depending on when the Silver Shafted Arrow (duration of 10 days) is looted from the container.
- Most of the arrows are used up quickly, so a more realistic limit is "while the event is in progress".
- Spring Rabbit's Foot - a rare drop from Brightly Colored Egg or sold by Noblegarden Merchants and Noblegarden Vendors during Noblegarden for 100 [[Image:Noblegarden Chocolate,png|16px|link=Noblegarden Chocolate]]
These companions are available as quest rewards during the Children's Week event, but cannot be traded to other characters.
- Turtle Box – BoP Quest Reward
- Rat Cage – BoP Quest Reward
- Piglet's Collar – BoP Quest Reward
- Elekk Training Collar – BoP Quest Reward
- Sleepy Willy – BoP Quest Reward
- Egbert's Egg – BoP Quest Reward
Midsummer Fire Festival
The Spirit of Competition
- Gold Medallion Asian dragon – BoP Battleground Reward during the 2008 Spirit of Competition event.
This companion is available as a BoP quest reward during the Brewfest event.
- Wolpertinger's Tankard – BoP Quest Reward
This companion is available as a rare BoP drop during the Hallow's End event.
- Sinister Squashling – BoP Drop
These companions are only available to players who bought the Collector's Edition of the game. They are not tradeable in any way. Players may only choose one companion, but each character on the same account can choose a different companion. As the item is bound to your account, it is now possible to have all three on one character.
- Zergling Leash
- Panda Collar
- Diablo Stone
Burning Crusade: Collector's Edition
These companions are only available to players that purchase the Collector's Edition of the Burning Crusade expansion pack. Only European players are able to obtain both companions for each character.
Wrath of the Lich King: Collector's Edition
This companion is only available to players that purchase the Collector's Edition of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion pack.
The Murky companion is only available to people who attended the BlizzCon event and worked on both US and European realms. Another baby murloc was made available to European players through conventions and competitions.
- Blue Murloc Egg (BlizzCon)
- Pink Murloc Egg (European events)
The Murkimus the Gladiator pet was given to all players who entered the 2009 Arena Tournament and played at least 200 rated arena matches with a 3v3 arena team.
- Murkimus the Gladiator
World of Warcraft Trading Card Game
Available only to those players who receive a rare "loot" card in the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
- Hippogryph Hatchling
- Banana Charm
- Rocket Chicken
- Dragon Kite
- Soul-Trader Beacon
Blizzard Worldwide Invitational
- Fortune Coin (appears to be only valid on Korean servers)
- Tyrael's Hilt
The Spirit of Competition
- Competitor's Souvenir blue and purple Chinese dragon – Reward available only in China, and only during the 2008 Summer Olympics Spirit of Competition event. There were samples of this companion in the Ironforge and Orgrimmar battle rooms during the 2008 Summer Olympics. On EU and US servers, this appears to have been due to a bug, and the item does not appear to even have a valid item id in the US and EU.
World of Warcraft's Fourth Anniversary
Mailed to all players on Nov. 23, 2008 as a gift for WoW's 4th anniversary, one to every character you own. This pet binds to your account, does not disappear once learned, and can be kept so that any new character you make in the future can learn this pet by mailing one from an older character that you kept a bear with.
- Baby Blizzard Bear
Mountain Dew Promotion
Available via the Mountain Dew Choose Your Side promotion website by redeeming using a Battle.net account. Available only from June 9, 2009 - August 20, 2009.
- Battle-Bot Ignition Key (US only)
|Item||Binds On||Companion Name||Source|
|Dragon Kite||Pickup||Dragon Kite||World of Warcraft Trading Card Game reward|
|Chuck's Bucket||Pickup||Chuck||Rare drop from |
|Competitor's Souvenir||Pickup||Essence of Competition||Reward during the 2008 Spirit of Competition event, only on Chinese servers|
|Egbert's Egg||Pickup||Egbert|| or  during Children's Week|
|Elekk Training Collar||Pickup||Peanut|| or  during Children's Week|
|Fortune Coin||Pickup||Lucky||Blizzard World Wide Invitational 2007, Korean servers only|
|Gold Medallion||Pickup||Spirit of Competition||Battleground Reward during the 2008 Spirit of Competition event|
|Lurky's Egg||Pickup||Lurky||Burning Crusade Collector's Edition European reward|
|Mojo||Pickup||Mojo||Drop from Forest Frogs in Zul'Aman|
|Muckbreath's Bucket||Pickup||Muckbreath||Rare drop from |
|Nether Ray Fry||Pickup||Nether Ray Fry||Grella in Terokkar Forest for 40 (requires Exalted reputation with Sha'tari Skyguard)|
|Netherwhelp's Collar||Account||Nether Whelp||Burning Crusade Collector's Edition reward|
|Phoenix Hatchling||Pickup||Phoenix Hatchling||Dropped by Kael'thas Sunstrider, see Kael'thas Sunstrider (Magisters' Terrace tactics)|
|Sinister Squashling||Pickup||Sinister Squashling||BoP drop during the Hallow's End event|
|Sleepy Willy||Pickup||Willy|| or  during Children's Week|
|Snarly's Bucket||Pickup||Snarly||Rare drop from |
|Soul-Trader Beacon||Pickup||Ethereal Soul-Trader||World of Warcraft Trading Card Game reward|
|Tiny Spore Bat||Pickup||Tiny Sporebat||Mycah in Zangarmarsh for 30 (requires Exalted reputation with Sporeggar)|
|Toothy's Bucket||Pickup||Toothy||Rare drop from |
|Vampiric Batling||Pickup||Vampiric Batling||Drop from Tenris Mirkblood in Karazhan during the pre-WotLK Scourge Invasion|
|Wolpertinger's Tankard||Pickup||Wolpertinger||Purchasable during Brewfest|
|Crashin' Thrashin' Robot||Use||Crashin' Thrashin' Robot||high level World drop (requires Engineering 325)|
|Azure Whelpling||Use||Azure Whelpling||Dropped by Blue Dragonspawn, Blue Scalebane, Draconic Magelord and Draconic Mageweaver in Azshara|
|Blue Dragonhawk Hatchling||Use||Blue Dragonhawk Hatchling||Dealer Rashaad in Netherstorm for 10|
|Blue Moth Egg||Use||Blue Moth||Sixx in The Exodar for 50|
|Captured Firefly||Use||Firefly||Drop from Bogflare Needler in Zangarmarsh|
|Brown Rabbit Crate||Use||Brown Rabbit||Dealer Rashaad in Netherstorm for 10|
|Golden Dragonhawk Hatchling||Use||Golden Dragonhawk Hatchling||Jilanne in Eversong Woods for 50|
|Mana Wyrmling||Use||Mana Wyrmling||Dealer Rashaad in Netherstorm for 40|
|Miniwing||Pickup||Miniwing|| in Terokkar Forest|
|Magical Crawdad Box||Pickup||Magical Crawdad||Random wish from fishing up Mr. Pinchy |
|Red Dragonhawk Hatchling||Use||Red Dragonhawk Hatchling||Jilanne in Eversong Woods for 50|
|Red Moth Egg||Use||Red Moth||Dealer Rashaad in Netherstorm for 10|
|Silver Dragonhawk Hatchling||Use||Silver Dragonhawk Hatchling||Jilanne in Eversong Woods for 50|
|White Moth Egg||Use||White Moth||Sixx in The Exodar for 50|
|Yellow Moth Egg||Use||Yellow Moth||Sixx in The Exodar for 50|
Wrath of the Lich King
|Item||Binds On||Companion Name||Source|
|Ammen Vale Lashling||Use||Ammen Vale Lashling||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Draenei race.|
|Argent Gruntling||Pickup||Argent Gruntling||Complete  during the Argent Tournament.|
|Argent Squire||Pickup||Argent Squire||Complete  during the Argent Tournament.|
|Battle-Bot Ignition Key||Pickup||Battle-Bot||Available via WoW / Mountain Dew Game Fuel promotion.|
|Dun Morogh Cub||Use||Dun Morogh Cub||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Dwarf race.|
|Durotar Scorpion||Use||Durotar Scorpion||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Orc race.|
|Elwynn Lamb||Use||Elwynn Lamb||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Human race.|
|Enchanted Broom||Use||Enchanted Broom||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Blood elf race.|
|Frosty's Collar||Account||Frosty||Available only through purchase of Wrath of the Lich King:Collector's Edition.|
|Ghostly Skull||Pickup||Ghostly Skull||From <Reagents & Magical Goods> in Underbelly of Dalaran for 40 .|
|Giant Sewer Rat||Pickup||Giant Sewer Rat||Rare fishing drop from Dalaran Sewers. Criteria for|
|Kirin Tor Familiar||Pickup||Kirin Tor Familiar||Taught by Archmage Vargoth after completing|
|Little Fawn's Salt Lick||Pickup||Little Fawn's Salt Lick||From - Collect 75 unique vanity pets.|
|Mechanopeep||Use||Mechanopeep||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Gnome race.|
|Mulgore Hatchling||Use||Mulgore Hatchling||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Tauren race.|
|Murkimus' Little Spear||Pickup||Murkimus the Gladiator||From completing 200 ranked 3v3 arena matches in the 2009 Arena Tournament.|
|Nurtured Penguin Egg||Pickup||Pengu||From in Dragonblight or in Howling Fjord (exalted with Kalu'ak and 12 ).|
|Reeking Pet Carrier||Pickup||Stinker||From - Collect 50 unique vanity pets.|
|Sen'jin Fetish||Use||Sen'jin Fetish||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Troll race.|
|Teldrassil Sproutling||Use||Teldrassil Sproutling||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Night elf race.|
|Tirisfal Batling||Use||Tirisfal Batling||40 during the Argent Tournament after you become Champion of the Undead race.|
|Cobra Hatchling||Use||Cobra Hatchling||Random chance from Mysterious Egg.|
|Proto-Drake Whelp||Use||Proto-Drake Whelp||Random chance from Mysterious Egg.|
|Tickbird Hatchling||Use||Tickbird Hatchling||Random chance from Mysterious Egg.|
|White Tickbird Hatchling||Use||White Tickbird Hatchling||Random chance from Mysterious Egg.|
As of patch 3.0.9, there are in the game.
Patch 3.0.2, Oct 14, 2008, introduced the companion inventory item, the container, as a charged item with a single charge that spawns the companion in your pets section. After the patch was introduced, all existing pet items (i.e. those in the mail, in your bags, in the bank, etc.) were disallowed from being put up for auction. The auction system would see the pet items as "an item with charges used" and would not post them. These items are still usable, but simply may not be auctioned. New pet items created after the patch, by purchasing from a vendor or receiving as loot, may be auctioned as before.
As of patch 3.0.2, a number of companion-related functions have been added to the World of Warcraft API, chief among them GetNumCompanions() and CallCompanion().
Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Several new companions added: Murkimus the Gladiator, Plump Turkey, Spring Rabbit, and Strand Crawler.